active vs passive

Sorry about the seach thing. It has been a long day. Now that I know the difference of them, lets say my comp comes with passive. Where is a good place to get some active? What is a good company?

Sorry about the seach thing. It has been a long day. Now that I know the difference of them, lets say my comp comes with passive. Where is a good place to get some active? What is a good company?
meet up with me sence you are in my area. im running dynaudio speakers active. right now. i can show you whats up.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif Your comps did come with a passive crossover. You can buy an active crossover from ebay or in the classifieds; from companies like audio control or Coustic.

azbass, I may be able to come earlier before school starts. It starts at 7:40 pm. I would like to check those out. I will check back after I get off work.

I wish I could wake up at 8. I get up at 5 am, work to about 2ish, then to go school from 7:40 to 10 at night, then do it all over agian.

"This is important becuase EVERYONE asks if you can combine filters. YES you can. BUT not with the intended results. The final filter will be the product of all the filters. thus if filter A is -10dB at 80hz, and filter B is -0.1dB at 80hz, the final result will be -10.1dB @ 80hz. if both filters A and B are -3dB at 80hz, the result will be -6dB @ 80hz. if you were defining a cutoff at -3dB, then the resulting filter's cutoff is not 80hz." written by thch

Can some one explain this alittle more? I have a Coustic XM6 and was woundering how crossover slopes put together would work. Is it a good thing or not? Is he saying that if you put a -24db/oct slope @ 80hz with a second

-24db/oct slope @80 hz that you have -48db/oct slope but not @ 80hz?

Can some one explain this alittle more?
That's explained about as well as it can be.

I have a Coustic XM6 and was woundering how crossover slopes put together would work. Is it a good thing or not?
Both.

Audio Rule #1; Nothing is "wrong" if the end result sounds better.

If it sounds better to combine two crossovers to achieve the desired results, then you did it right since it works for you. If it sounds worse, then it's wrong for your particular situation.

Is he saying that if you put a -24db/oct slope @ 80hz with a second -24db/oct slope @80 hz that you have -48db/oct slope but not @ 80hz?
Correct. The crossover point is technically the point at which the signal is attenuated by -3db. And since you would have two filters, each attenuating the signal by -3db, the result would be an attenuation of -6db at 80hz.....hence, it's no longer the effective crossover point.

Combining filters isn't an easy subject. It gets more complicated if you start combining different filters, with different crossover frequencies and different slopes.

But, always revert back to rule #1. Just because you don't understand the mathmatics, doesn't mean your ears won't be able to tell you whether it was a "good" thing or a "bad" thing. If you have the necessary equipment...try it out, see how the sound differs.

BTW; thch knows his stuff. When you run across one of his posts, read them.

Correct. The crossover point is technically the point at which the signal is attenuated by -3db. And since you would have two filters, each attenuating the signal by -3db, the result would be an attenuation of -6db at 80hz.....hence, it's no longer the effective crossover point.
Oh but you did explain it more. I was missing the -6db part or was not thinking of it that way until I read it. lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.