accidentally connected the positive to negative

idan167

CarAudio.com Recruit
Hello,
So i got new speakers and a amplifier and today i was installing them, did only half install because didn't have time to finish.
When i installed the amplifier i accidentally connected the positive to the negative, in the amplifier the negative wasn't connected yet, only the positive. It was for half a second since i got a little spark and immediately noticed it..
So the amplifier is dead now?

Well, I will but for now still want to know what you think by experience or something..
It never happened to me..

I will hook it up tomorrow, just wondering and i don't want any disappointment haha, it will definitely **** if it's gone, till then, thought to ask someone who can know the answer.

My first install when I was 16, I was finishing up the amp wiring in the dark and hooked up the power and ground backwards and actually turned the system on trying to bump it, It was pure distortion and light dimming.. I knew something was wrong and shut it down and discovered the backwards wiring.. Then hooked it up correct and all was good..

With that said Not all amps will have the same protection built in..

These were Old school Sony XM amps, I'm still running one from that era (1996) Sony XM-2100G on some Morel Components and it's a beast.

Well, I will but for now still want to know what you think by experience or something..
It never happened to me..
Your amp should be fine. Shorting battery positive lead to ground lead will blow the fuse in the power wire, but it doesn't "force" anything through your amp.

Hello,
So i got new speakers and a amplifier and today i was installing them, did only half install because didn't have time to finish.
When i installed the amplifier i accidentally connected the positive to the negative, in the amplifier the negative wasn't connected yet, only the positive. It was for half a second since i got a little spark and immediately noticed it..

A good rule of thumb is to always put your ground wire in first so this doesn't happen. If your positive and negative are the same color wire then get some red electrical tape and wrap it around the end of the positive wire. We always finish the ground connection last before turning anything on.

Ok so i connected 1 speaker and its making weird noise but no music is coming out of the speaker, im still trying to figure it out, any ideas?

Hello,
You may be Lucky and didnt blow that power supply in it and just had a a single connection on the power block board on the amplifier. Deff try it out and wire it correctly. Take the Fuse out at the battery (supply fuse. Wire the amp up correctly and Put fuse in and she if it blows or just test it at the battery its not installed yet/mounted. I think you may have gotten lucky, Never know though

Ok so i connected 1 speaker and its making weird noise but no music is coming out of the speaker, im still trying to figure it out, any ideas?
I posted after before this portion of the thread popped up? What amp is it and what HU do you have? What speakers?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...