Hey guys, looking for advice

Nickcsmith9014

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jun 17, 2021
USA
Hey guys and girls, I'm nick. Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but it seemed fitting. So I'm having an issue and before I drop money on anything I'm looking for opinions. I'm currently running a single American Bass XFL 12", it's 1500w rms, 3000w peak. I was running it on an audio pipe amp for a while but I just snatched a Kicker KXA 2400.1 which tested at 25xx watts at 2 ohms. My question, as I'm tuning the amp if I raise bring the gain or boost up even slightly close to where I want it (speaker isn't arguing 😂) the amp pops into protection for about 5 seconds and comes back on if I turn the level down. Now. I'm aware I should be running 1/0 awg wiring but I'm currently on 4awg with if I remember correctly a 150amp in line fuse. Could my wires being too small cause it to go into protection? It's obviously not blowing the fuse. It just cuts out til I turn the levels down but at this point it's not even making the power the audio pipe was. Wondering if it's maybe something to do with the amp or if I just need 1/0 awg wiring

The amp is brand new, just installed it today.

Thank you in advance guys any input is helpful!

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
Most of the Kicker mono amps I've used or seen around are not designed to play below 2 ohm. Sometimes you can get away with it but they can get a bit protect happy. Probably the issue is your sub is the wrong impedance for that amp and you're trying to drive it into 1 ohm (or less).

Nickcsmith9014

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jun 17, 2021
USA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Most of the Kicker mono amps I've used or seen around are not designed to play below 2 ohm. Sometimes you can get away with it but they can get a bit protect happy. Probably the issue is your sub is the wrong impedance for that amp and you're trying to drive it into 1 ohm (or less).
The sub is dual 4 ohm voice coils, if I'm not mistaken I have it wired in at 2 ohms, but I'm not the best at understanding how that works. The way I have it a 2 to 1 connection with both voice coil grounds and both powers. However as far as I can think, you can't wired dual 4 ohm coils down to 2 ohms? But I did watch this amp be tested and it ran at 85% efficiency at 1 ohm.

And as for the other question I had, would under sized wire cause this?

Thanks again

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
If your sub is D4 then yes you're at 2 ohm. Inadequate power or ground may cause the amp to power down (possibly protect?) I've only had issues with those protecting from low impedance myself.

Just re-read where you say you only have #4 cable. That is completely inadequate and possibly unsafe for that size amp. You will want to get into 1/0 gauge cable all around, make sure you have a good, solid, clean/bare metal ground as near to the amp as you can get and then you may start opening 150a fuses when you get on it hard so have a plan to up that fuse size until you stop opening fuses.

Reactions: Nickcsmith9014

Nickcsmith9014

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jun 17, 2021
USA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If your sub is D4 then yes you're at 2 ohm. Inadequate power or ground may cause the amp to power down (possibly protect?) I've only had issues with those protecting from low impedance myself.

Just re-read where you say you only have #4 cable. That is completely inadequate and possibly unsafe for that size amp. You will want to get into 1/0 gauge cable all around, make sure you have a good, solid, clean/bare metal ground as near to the amp as you can get and then you may start opening 150a fuses when you get on it hard so have a plan to up that fuse size until you stop opening fuses.
Thanks man, I kinda figured I needed to run 1/0, I wasn't sure if that could actually cause the problem I'm having or if possibly something was messed up with the amp and I needed to send it back. And if I'm gonna run 1/0 I'd run a 200 amp fuse with it. I do appreciate your advice, considering it may be unsafe it won't be used til I upgrade the wires 😂

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds