Accessory Ignition Wiring Question

Participant count
  • Participant list

Scott Brown

CarAudio.com Newbie
I'm in the process of installing an aftermarket stereo in my 2004 Chevy Trailblazer. I'm at the point of soldering up the wiring harness and I'm stuck. I don't know what to do with the 10' long red wire that came in the harness package. Both sides of the harness had matching red wires coming out of their plug housings... I soldered those together. So do I need to do anything else? The new unit is simply a swap for the old, so I would think the receiver would turn on and off when the power's started and cut, just like the the radio that preceded it. Finally, since the location of the new unit is the same both physically and... uh, electrically... is the new stereo fuse-protected like the old one was?

Thank you for taking a few moments to answer my questions. I really didn't know anyone else to ask.

Sincerely,
Scott

yes, red is usually the ignition/accessory wire, it needs to be connected from the factory harness to the one for the new head unit.

Yes, there will be a factory fuse that would protect the head unit. usually under the hood or under the dash. Also a lot of head units have a fuse on the back of the head unit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...