Acceptable voltage drop

Water Bear

Senior VIP Member
With the electrical in my Tahoe, it drops about 0.2 volts during peak bass (just a hair below clipping). At cruising RPM w/ no audio, voltage is around 14.4 on both batteries. I'm thinking the electrical can take more. What's a safe limit? How much drop is acceptable before we burn out the alt or have problems?

Last edited:
That's kind of why I asked the question the way I did. I don't expect anyone to know if a specific electrical set up will work for a specific amp unless they happen to have done it themselves, which is probably rare. It's better to know a voltage target and then upgrade to hit that. I have a Tahoe so it's easy to go buy alternator brackets and stuff like that if I really need 'em.

Thanks for your answer by the way, very useful info. My system is getting loud, but it's honestly not as loud as I expected. Two NSv4's on 3k in a Gately box. (Got a decent price on the NSv4's off eBay. Otherwise wouldn't have gone with that). Part of the issue here is that I need hella sound deadener. The poor Tahoe is gonna rattle apart at max output, and all that rattling is energy lost to noise that could be making volume. So I gotta learn how to do that job properly.

For what it's worth, I'm looking at an SFB 8k but there's other options out there which I might try just for fun. And I do listen to decaf mixes sometimes.
That's a nice setup. Those Gately boxes are works of art for sure!

Whenever you upgrade amps, you can always turn the gain down some if your voltage is dropping too much. That is, until you can make a necessary upgrade. Stuff gets expensive quick... it's usually best to upgrade in small increments.

Personally, i want to add a Helix M Four DSP amp and have a fully active setup. I did find a used one for sale for a good price of $400 + shipping, which is much cheaper than the $1000 they are new, but it's still a decent chunk of change and I'd have to get additional wire + tear up my vehicle again etc etc.

It's kinda hard to justify the cost at this time, especially when I only really drive my car to work and back which is about a 10-15 minute drive lol.

I’ve always set my red line for voltage drops at just above the battery resting voltage, which is 12.6 volts on my battery. Drops below 12.8 is where I let up on my volume or bass knob. A .2 volt drop wouldn’t worry me much unless I’m pushing for a small DB gain on a meter.

1000004149.jpg

Upgrade just arrived...SHCA Black friday sale for the win. Even more voltage drop, here I come.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...