About had it with RE Audio

I have sold many of these amps. I have had one dts1000 that ended the exact same way yours did. It turns out the customer had the amp in a 1/2 ohm and both woofers cooked to the point of being locked up. For cheap amps they are pretty tough.

So well all can agree that me changing out a 100A fuse for a 200A fuse is what did my amp in. That being said... what caused my original 100A fuse to blow.. Here is what happened.

Yesterday morning i was driving listening to music. no louder than usual. all of a sudden my factory volt meter dropped to around 11 volts. my deck and amp both cut off. the deck powered back on but the amp didnt. when i got to where i was going i popped the hood ans saw my fuse was blown. i knew i had a 200A fuse at home so i didnt buy a new one. got home, changed the fuse and poof, flames and smoke. what went wrong?

Output fets shorted and caused a surge in current draw which took the power supply fets with it and caused the drop in voltage you saw on the gauge. When the outputs short the amp starts to draw current like crazy. Sometimes the fuse blows before the power supply and sometimes it doesn't. It usually happens so fast that the fuses can't blow fast enough to save the power supply fets which is what happened here. Is your amp mounted to your sub box? Other than abuse vibration is another leading cause of amp failure. Vibration causes the leads of fets to break and cause arcing which can also create the issue you have. Unless its absolutely the only place to do it I would never mount an amp to a sub box knowing what I know now

yeah the amp was mounted to the box. if it gets replaced i will be moving it as soon as i get it back. you always learn from your mistakes.

so was the amp probably toast before it caught fire just not as bad?

def be careful. If I am ever forced to mount an amp on a box, I use rubber grommits between the amp feet and the box wall to lessen harsh vibration. Even then, I am worried.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.