A sealed box thats not so sealed...

Magz_rule
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
ny
Ok, so i installed 2 12" subs into my Q Logic Double chamber box. Theres a divider down the middle to seperate the 2 12's. On one side, when you press on the cone, you cant hear any air or what not escaping, but on the other side, you press on the cone, and you can hear air escaping. So i re-sealed it with Clear Silicone, and its STILL there, what should/can i do to fix this, Also, when i finally have everything in my car, will this little air leak hurt the sound at all? Thanks!

And on a side not for a friend, What size (sealed) box should a 15" JL be in?

Ok, so i installed 2 12" subs into my Q Logic Double chamber box. Theres a divider down the middle to seperate the 2 12's. On one side, when you press on the cone, you cant hear any air or what not escaping, but on the other side, you press on the cone, and you can hear air escaping. So i re-sealed it with Clear Silicone, and its STILL there, what should/can i do to fix this, Also, when i finally have everything in my car, will this little air leak hurt the sound at all? Thanks!
And on a side not for a friend, What size (sealed) box should a 15" JL be in?

To my understanding a little leak will hurt your subs. Be sure to check terminal cubs (if you have them) and around the sub itself. I would be very sure to have this fixed before playing.

Checked the terminals and around the sub, both sealed, it seems to be coming just from the seem. But its sealed on the inside, and then i sealed it on the outside, yet it still does it. The leak will really hurt the subs??

The cones aren't airtight. when you push gently on the sub, is it springy ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I dont know about springy....

And after hearing closer, they both have tiny leaks. Nothing real bad, but i guess all i want to know is if this will hurt my sound, or the subs at all?

Well, I just got done taking both the subs back out, resealing the inside of the box, putting some silicone sealant around the subs and screwing them back in, and then sealed the outside of the box. So this hopefully fixed all my leaking problems. If not ill go crazy:)

And anybody know what size box a 15" JL should be in, sealed?

Well, after letting the sealant dry, i tested them out today, and they are finally sealed! No leaks whatsoever:) The cones feel quite a bit different when you push on the cone, they feel stiffer, im hoping thats good:D

Having an air leak, as long as it's small, won't hurt the subs themselves in most cases, but it does hurt the sound quality. Good to hear you got everything sealed up //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

On the JL, it really depends on what kind of JL, w0, w3, w6, w7?

I found what size box it needed, thanks though. You might wanna start righting those names down and putting them in a hat.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif (with mine on the top of course;) )

Started using those little plastic poker chips last go around...now I don't have to write names each time //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Just numbers that are already there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.