A picture for you...

Take the delta, add the hex former, and it would be AWESOME. Just something about a driver you can see through - I love it!

can you say ridiculous cooling //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif ;)???

You'd get that with any underhung gap... This one's just really long.

not really.... you get flat BL but it generally drops off very slowly... this is a bit of a different design idealized for as much flat BL as possible while keeping overall costs as low as possible..... I dunno about you but I like using all 18mm of my excursion with good SQ rather than only get 5.5mm out of your "common" "high excursion" 6.5" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

You get far more flat BL this way than you would with XBL2 even.... as you can see from the BL graph.... and mms is waaaay lower than with XBL2. steel costs, machining costs, etc all lower as well... it's why Ology is doing these kind of motors for a lot of different places now

it's a good thing when you look at what specs we achieved //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif The omega design was simply the best 6.5" we could possibly conceive... You would need a much thicker magnet if you wanted to use anything but underhung... which would bump the price up... a good 2-3 times for the magnet costs.... Overhung motors would need a smaller magnet, however they also would have a terrible BL curve in comparison... same if you used XBL2 or other techniques.... save a little on magnet costs... add a lot of depth/need thicker magnets (so the magnets would cost the same).... overhung's mms would be astronomical... could have never achieved such ideal specs
pulling a 5.2g mms for a 6.5" that can handle such high power and be so highly efficent while still having a VERY low F3 point in IB or sealed is a task as you can imagine

a Single Omega would outperform 4 Adire Extremis's till after 125w of power .... and after then the 4 Extremis's would have better power compression.... however you could achieve levels faaar beyond the Extremis's coil would allow comparing 1 to 1.... talking about achieving something like 118db at 100hz... where the extremis would probably be limited to 105-106

I believe this is the strongest magnet ever used on any speaker.... and it's still cheaper than most speakers... even though there's a good 10 times the production costs as the extremis into each one of these....

the magnet in the Extremis and our shallow mount speaker are the same size... and cost around 1500% less than the Omega's magnet

Steel costs? the extremis and our shallow mount (basically the same motor except ours has a better BL curve) cost around 4000% less than the Omega's steel costs....

This is likely why companies are starting to flock for rebadging and OEM usage of both these drivers ... the omega is home audio's dream 6.5" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
What size boxes/tuning/alignments are you recommending for this?

not really.... you get flat BL but it generally drops off very slowly... this is a bit of a different design idealized for as much flat BL as possible while keeping overall costs as low as possible..... I dunno about you but I like using all 18mm of my excursion with good SQ rather than only get 5.5mm out of your "common" "high excursion" 6.5" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif
You get far more flat BL this way than you would with XBL2 even.... as you can see from the BL graph.... and mms is waaaay lower than with XBL2. steel costs, machining costs, etc all lower as well... it's why Ology is doing these kind of motors for a lot of different places now
Unless you've changed the topology, it's still an underhung right? Short coil, long gap. Within the gap, of course the BL will be linear - just like any other underhung. Near the limits, the BL will drop off like any other underhung, i'd imagine, unless there's something you've got at the ends of the topplate to counter it somehow.

What size boxes/tuning/alignments are you recommending for this?

IB/sealed/ported all work really well for it

.7 cubes sealed is nice for it

ported I would do 1 cube if you want playback below 40hz... tuning in 1 cube to 40hz is quite pleasing....

it depends how low you wanna go really... .7 cubes sealed will get you into 70hz F3 area... Infinite baffle will get you around 80hz F3... which is amazing.... These speakers are VERY stable in IB vs. your average Low QTS speaker (like the extremis) they always tell you "don't put this in doors, put it in pods"

1.5 cubes tuned to 35hz is my favorite though if you're looking for the ultimate HT 2-way with a very limited bandwith sub...

you can go to .7 ported as well if you only want to go to 60hz F3 point... .7 cubes tuned to 60hz

Unless you've changed the topology, it's still an underhung right? Short coil, long gap. Within the gap, of course the BL will be linear - just like any other underhung. Near the limits, the BL will drop off like any other underhung, i'd imagine, unless there's something you've got at the ends of the topplate to counter it somehow.

what I meant was that the drop off is very very steep in this design which is a good thing... you're correct that's what it will do... but ONLY underhung can achieve a BL curve like that... XBL can't.... Split coil can't... overhung can't...

the short coil is how we got 4 times the linear excursion out of this while keeping costs low enough

too my knowledge no buildhouse in the world besides us can do this type of underhung... at least Dan at Adire had told me it was impossible... and neither misco, our chinese buildhouses, or adire audio's buildhouse can do a coil like that and make it stable

I wanna know what the Cone is made of? I can't see it in the pics //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

it's a very very stiff custom paper...

I'm still drooling over the pics you sent me matt... I might have to get a set for the house :p and come up with a nice HT setup.

Wouldn't mind a midrange speaker taking care of frequencies 50Hz+, you could tune your subwoofer enclosure to like 20hz lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.