A man cave on wheels...

Participant count
  • Participant list

pengyou

I have a Chevy Astro van that I am converting to a camper/man cave. I love to escape for the weekend, and even weeks at a time during the summer - I am a teacher, so have the privilege of having the summers off. At nights, I love to watch movies and relax. I want to put a sound system in the van that optimizes the interior for watching video. I am either going to put a projector (aimed at the back of the van) in it or as large a tv in it as possible. The projector is much lighter and takes up less space, but have not made that decision yet. The secondary purpose is to provide really good audio for music while driving. I am ripping the current interior out so am starting from scratch.

Questions:

1. Is it feasible to get the "surround sound - vibration effect" that I feel in 3d theaters?

2. Placement of speakers. The ceiling will have 2" of padding, so have 2" of room for speaker enclosures. I have the standard spaces in the sides for speakers - usually have 3" of room, give or take.

3. I am going to rip the a/c out of the engine compartment and use an rv unit, so all of the vents on the dashboard will be useless. Can these be used for speakers? They are about 3" long by 2" wide by 3.5ish" deep. Small, but have 4 of them, all pointing to the back of the van.

4. Would 2 subwoofers be overkill for such a small area? I probably don't need them for music listening but might be useful for action/adventure movies.

5. I would like to use a computer with a BR/DVD player, so that I have multifunction use of the equipment.

6. Does any company make a cb radio that can be completely controlled by bluetooth? I would like to use a 9" touch screen to control all of my toys.

7. I will ask about amplifiers, etc later...right now, just trying make a space plan for the interior.

8. I am planning on painting the whole interior of the van with a black plastic type coating - similar to that found on truck bed liners - to help reduce vibration and reduce outside sounds. Any suggestions for products/brands? I will put reflectiv on top of that, and than another insulation on top of that (for temperature control/comfort).

A lot of questions..please feel free to refer me to other posts and websites. I have done some reading already, but was having trouble putting things together - some things seem to conflict with each other, so wanted to put the whole picture out here.

I have a Chevy Astro van that I am converting to a camper/man cave. I love to escape for the weekend, and even weeks at a time during the summer - I am a teacher, so have the privilege of having the summers off. At nights, I love to watch movies and relax. I want to put a sound system in the van that optimizes the interior for watching video. I am either going to put a projector (aimed at the back of the van) in it or as large a tv in it as possible. The projector is much lighter and takes up less space, but have not made that decision yet. The secondary purpose is to provide really good audio for music while driving. I am ripping the current interior out so am starting from scratch.
Questions:

1. Is it feasible to get the "surround sound - vibration effect" that I feel in 3d theaters?

2. Placement of speakers. The ceiling will have 2" of padding, so have 2" of room for speaker enclosures. I have the standard spaces in the sides for speakers - usually have 3" of room, give or take.

3. I am going to rip the a/c out of the engine compartment and use an rv unit, so all of the vents on the dashboard will be useless. Can these be used for speakers? They are about 3" long by 2" wide by 3.5ish" deep. Small, but have 4 of them, all pointing to the back of the van.

4. Would 2 subwoofers be overkill for such a small area? I probably don't need them for music listening but might be useful for action/adventure movies.

5. I would like to use a computer with a BR/DVD player, so that I have multifunction use of the equipment.

6. Does any company make a cb radio that can be completely controlled by bluetooth? I would like to use a 9" touch screen to control all of my toys.

7. I will ask about amplifiers, etc later...right now, just trying make a space plan for the interior.

8. I am planning on painting the whole interior of the van with a black plastic type coating - similar to that found on truck bed liners - to help reduce vibration and reduce outside sounds. Any suggestions for products/brands? I will put reflectiv on top of that, and than another insulation on top of that (for temperature control/comfort).

A lot of questions..please feel free to refer me to other posts and websites. I have done some reading already, but was having trouble putting things together - some things seem to conflict with each other, so wanted to put the whole picture out here.
1. vibration feel is just bass in phase. So yes. Though you will need to deaden alot to keep vibrations to a minimum

2. 2'' of room is pointless. You cant put any speaker in there. Youll have to have proper enclosures for your speakers.

3. No, Too small for any speaker.

4. 2 subs is fine. Probably wont need it though. 1 sub on plenty of power is easier and needs a smaller box.

5. okay? look into a car pc build then. DIYMA has abunch of info on that.

6. i dont know.

7. okay, do you know what your electrical needs will be? watching movies with speakers/subs takes considerable stored energy. youll need more than on ebattery

8. for sound deadening. You want CLD tiles and MLV. https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ lots of good info

get a power invertor and use a home theatre receiver. That takes care of your amp issue and dolby atmos 7.2 surround sound processing. As for speaker placement, you'll need to to custom work with fiberglass to have a proper 7.2 surround sound setup. You can go with coaxials or components, either way works.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.