A few wiring question....

Participant count
  • Participant list

unard
10+ year member

florida
Hey, i just got my system almost satisfactory. I am still gettting a little noise. I gave up on the noise from my h/u through the rca's and got the converter thing that gets the input from the h/u output wires. Hey it works. I am still getting engine noise in my woofers though. The woofer amp and the mids/highs amp share power and have same ground but in different places. It might be my weird h/u. Dont laugh, but its a sound storm. A few facts about it: It wont come on unless the antena is conected, the metal on the h/u will spark when it touches the metal that holds in place, It skips easy( bumps, hit breaks hard sometimes(worse when its cold), when bass hits hard in cold wheather). Any advise besides get a new one would be helpfull. Also, i have 2 12" kicker cvr's dvc pushed by the 1500D prestige mono 1000watt 2 ohm stable amp. The speakers are wired in series and i was wondering how else i could wire them and not hurt the amp. Thanks!!!

The ground on that amp is jacked. Make sure you have a good ground to a piece of metal that is solidly part of the car and not just a piece of metal behind the dash that is just touching the plastic of the dash and not the chassis of the car. Make sure the ground is to bare metal, scrape off any paint and rust.

You definitely have a problem with the ground that your h/u is seeing. Thats why it sparks when it hits the din cage because somehow the din cage is grounded and then also the reason why it will only come on when the antenna is hooked up is because the antenna has a ground on it also and when its connected this grounds the h/u as well and it sounds like your main ground is coming through the antenna wire. Im willing to bet that if you put a good ground on your h/u, which there should be a black ground wire in the h/u wiring harness, then you wont have this problem. All you have to do is find a bolt that direct bolts to the chassis. A good place to find this would be the bolts that hold the pedals in your car to the firewall. Good luck troublshooting your system.

Thanks....i'll see about it today, but what about the speakers. All i know is that i can wire them to a lower ohm and they willhit harder or take more watts or something of that nature.

The lower the number of Ohms the more you are making the amp push out. Henc more power output from the amp. MAKE SURE what ever config you set your subs up too, your amp is able to handle the Ohm load. IF NOT you will fry the amp, or cause it to go into protect mode.

How do you have your subs wired now????

If they are DVC 4 Ohm this is your options

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp?WoofQty=2+woofers&WoofImp=Dual+Voice+Coil+-+4+ohms+x+2&image.x=12&image.y=15

If they are DVC 2 Ohm this is your choice

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp?WoofQty=2+woofers&WoofImp=Dual+Voice+Coil+-+2+ohms+x+2&image.x=20&image.y=2

If they are 4 Ohm DVC I would set them up 4 Ohm MONO. DO NOT try the 1 OHM load on that amp.

Next thing. If you live anywhere NEAR Fort Walton Beach Florida click on my name above my motorcycle and send me a personal message. I can stop by and help you out with this.

yeah the h/u didn't have a good ground. I changed it to a bolt around the pedal and it works. the speakers are wired in a series to the mono amp. they are dvc 4 ohm woofers. I just got a banpass box, i had a sealed box but it wasn't separated.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.