A couple simple glass questions

1BadHawk
10+ year member

Here
I just have a couple questions regarding fiberglassing.

How do you connect fiberglass to wood? If I wanted to make a sub box with a fiberglass top, how would I connect it to the rest of the box?

And as for paint. Where do you get something like that painted? and autobody shop? and if so whats it typicaly cost?

Glass to wood - Resin sticks wonderfully to mdf. Just glass right to the wood. Or you could use an mdf frame. Then use screws to attach to the mdf.

Paint- yep either a body shop or do it yourself. Don't really know a price range. I usually do the paint myself. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

so all you have to do is make a frame, wrap fleece around it,and paint resin on it? Do you have to use hardener? and what is the best way to paint it. and what is the best paint to use? Thanks John

You need to mix resin with hardener for it to work. Use a tin can or pepsi bottle bottom to mix the resin and catalyst in and a piant brush to brush it into the fleece or other materials. Make sure you do this in a well ventilated area and always wera a respirator. I hope that you also have a heated area for it to cure in.

Kewl. I wasnt sure how to join the fiberglass to the box.

Im thinking of a dual sub box, where the box's are made of mdf, and the top portion of fiberglass. I just wasnt sure, once I made the fiberglass top how I was going to join it to the mdf boxes.

Now as for paint? I would assume you would take it to a paint shop and have them paint and clear coat it. That is if you want a professional appearance. What does something like that cost? assuming all the sanding is done and its ready for primer/paint.

If youre making a face or some sort of independant side, with no wood behind it..

make the frame, and then pull the fleece tight to the frame and staple/glue to the box.

That would be easy, but If its a sub box, it would be kind of difficult, since there would have to be cylindrical pipe from the sub mounted at the surface of glass, down to the box.

But ok , I think I got the idea.

You need to make circle frames for the subs to mount to anyway. It's not a good idea to try and attach the subs straight to the glass with no wood behind it. The glass will crack under the strain. As for painting it's probably going to run in the $100-$200 range. Unless you have a friend in the business or no someone at the body shop who might have some extra paint left over that's the color you need. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

read some fiberglass tutorials at the top of this page everything you've asked is explained very well. To answer your questions, make MDF rings, hot glue them to your box, stretch fleece TIGHT over it, I use hot glue to secure it (dries in an instant and creates a smoother fit than staples I think), mix up some resin/hardner and go at it. It's really easy.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.