99 expedition build idea help

lunchboxlust
10+ year member

I have had a lot of systems over the years that I pieced together second had form kids that didn’t know what they were trying to sell. I like most used to be only about the boom but I now want a SQL set up. I have been reading on this site for a lil more than 3 years and there is a lot of good info. I kno that first hand experience is the best but I don’t have the option of going to a shop and hearing or playing with products. All the places around me have like JL, Rockford, Alpine and larger box companies. I am a very handy person I can make boxes or kicks and mess with fiberglass so all kinds of fab is ok with me I have no problem cutting up my car as long as It looks good in the end.

SO here is the breakdown of what im looking to do. First I have a 99 ford expy. I first want to replace my front stage. I want a good set of comps with crossovers and tweets. Maybe even an 8 in their as well. I don’t mind buying different brands to mix and match in search of the best SQL in my price range. Of about 200-250$ not including amp. Im not experienced enough to run ( I think its called active) so I will need crossovers unless I pay a shop to tune or teach me how to tune properly.

Next is the rear doors. I kno that most people just use it as rear fill or even eliminate the speakers all together. But I am always running with people in the back so I would really like the music to be just as enjoyable for the rear passengers as the front so I have the same budget as the front stage. It doesn’t have to be all the same equipment as the front so I am open to all ideas.

Next is an amp/ amps to run the front and rear. This is the part that I get confused so I will need a lil more explanation if you say I could get one amp and just wire it all a cretin crazy way. Im not sure if I can use one amp or if I have to have 2 so I don’t have an exact budget set for this but I want to keep I reasonable but good SQ

After the front and rear is done I will sound deaden and sound block. Not just from vibrations but road noise as well. I want my car to sound like im in a cadi. So input on this is accepted as well or where I can get the best materials for the best cost.

I think I am looking for 2 15s but will probably buy them one at a time unless I have more money at that time. I have an expedition so space really isn’t an issue as long as I can see out the back. So unless im talked out of it I want some really efficient SQL subs and box. I will have someone on this forum design the box for me but I will build. Probably 200-300$ a sub

The amp for the subs would be next. As for the other amp I don’t have a specific budget but just reasonable and for SQ.

I will do the big three and an upgraded batt before I buy anything else. Even a second batt before I buy the subs if needed. If I don’t have to spend 300-400$ on a upgraded alt I don’t want to but I really want a quality system so if I have to I have to. If you read my whole post you’re a better man than I. im not going to buy it all at once so im not in a huge rush and I will put in the hours to do it right.

for comps you can look into hybrid audio, cdt, rainbow. incriminator audio, and b2 audio make a nice set of comps for cheap but i like the ia set a little better since they have silk dome tweets. for your subs what kind of power do you want to run? and i read you whole post but not sure if i missed it or not but i dont recall a budget for the sub amp. once we figure out what kinda power you want to run for you subs we can suggest you some woofers. for you rear fill i would just run some coaxials. and for an amp for the door speakers you will need a 4 channel amp since you are going to run passive.

i am definitely interested in what you come up with as i have a 98. i came across realm speakers 2 years ago and they have sounded just as or better than anyone i come in contact with. i can crank it up to say 30 and it sounds like its on 15 with the quality. ive recently decided to change a few things and try a mid bass sound to see if i like it - still deciding. i just replaced my 5x7 realms with ab 5.25's and for a smaller speaker they are beast. i have also recently fell in love with super tweeters in which i had no experience with before, so im trying to figure out a setup for these as they get very loud.

my subs i will probally get beat up on but these pioneer ts-w3002's are very sq oriented and sound great low or loud. i built a 5 cu box for them with 2 - 3" ports tuned to 33hz. i am however considering doing another box with different subs more of a spl sound.

i would also suggest rewiring your expo to the doors. i did using 12ga and what a difference it makes. if i can help out at all let me know. i wish you were closer so could take advantage of your fabrication skills. also its a big 4 not three - there is another wire under the passenger side front door. google big ford expedition and click on the f-150 link.

I have had a lot of systems over the years that I pieced together second had form kids that didn’t know what they were trying to sell. I like most used to be only about the boom but I now want a SQL set up. I have been reading on this site for a lil more than 3 years and there is a lot of good info. I kno that first hand experience is the best but I don’t have the option of going to a shop and hearing or playing with products. All the places around me have like JL, Rockford, Alpine and larger box companies. I am a very handy person I can make boxes or kicks and mess with fiberglass so all kinds of fab is ok with me I have no problem cutting up my car as long as It looks good in the end. SO here is the breakdown of what im looking to do. First I have a 99 ford expy. I first want to replace my front stage. I want a good set of comps with crossovers and tweets. Maybe even an 8 in their as well. I don’t mind buying different brands to mix and match in search of the best SQL in my price range. Of about 200-250$ not including amp. Im not experienced enough to run ( I think its called active) so I will need crossovers unless I pay a shop to tune or teach me how to tune properly.

Next is the rear doors. I kno that most people just use it as rear fill or even eliminate the speakers all together. But I am always running with people in the back so I would really like the music to be just as enjoyable for the rear passengers as the front so I have the same budget as the front stage. It doesn’t have to be all the same equipment as the front so I am open to all ideas.

Next is an amp/ amps to run the front and rear. This is the part that I get confused so I will need a lil more explanation if you say I could get one amp and just wire it all a cretin crazy way. Im not sure if I can use one amp or if I have to have 2 so I don’t have an exact budget set for this but I want to keep I reasonable but good SQ

After the front and rear is done I will sound deaden and sound block. Not just from vibrations but road noise as well. I want my car to sound like im in a cadi. So input on this is accepted as well or where I can get the best materials for the best cost.

I think I am looking for 2 15s but will probably buy them one at a time unless I have more money at that time. I have an expedition so space really isn’t an issue as long as I can see out the back. So unless im talked out of it I want some really efficient SQL subs and box. I will have someone on this forum design the box for me but I will build. Probably 200-300$ a sub

The amp for the subs would be next. As for the other amp I don’t have a specific budget but just reasonable and for SQ.

I will do the big three and an upgraded batt before I buy anything else. Even a second batt before I buy the subs if needed. If I don’t have to spend 300-400$ on a upgraded alt I don’t want to but I really want a quality system so if I have to I have to. If you read my whole post you’re a better man than I. im not going to buy it all at once so im not in a huge rush and I will put in the hours to do it right.
I'd look into a good set of comps like the Image Dynamics CTX65CS and maybe an extra midbass driver for the front and a set of good coaxes like the Image Dynamics CTX65 for the rear doors. I'd do a good 4 ch class A/B on the mid/highs like the AQ 120.4. For the sub stage, I'd recommend 2 15's like the GCON with D4 coils on the B2 Quota for a solid 1400 watts at 1ohm.

AQ 120.4

Image Dynamics CTX65CS 6.5"

Image Dynamics CTX65 6.5"

GCON-15 Sound Solutions Audio 15" 750W GCON Series Subwoofer - SSA STORE

B2 Audio Quota Amplifier - 1200 @ 1 Ohm

well for the subs i would spend 200-300 per sub but i would probably have to buy one at a time so im not sure the power of the amp but what ever would run both subs. i don't want to buy an amp for one sub then in like 2 months have to buy a different amp for both subs. But with what ever subs i do end up getting i was thinking of something with high efficiency and large box cuz doesn't that mean i don't have to be high power? Im not sure if that is a good type of combo tho for SQL... and i really don't have a set budget in mind for the amp. i never bought anything new or for very much. i always got stuff from kids that would sell like kicker 1000.1 or 750.1 for like 60$ i even got a jl 1000.1 for like 100$ once. i don't want to spend a bunch on amps but i am willing to spend more time saving to get a good amp... the hybrid audio i was kinda interested in but when ever i find a place selling them its like 300- 400. i saw in a post the other night that someone recommend them n said they can be found nib for 200. but he didn't say where thanks for the infor i will have to look into the suggestions you gave

also when you say rewire to the doors do you mean the speaker wires in the doors? when i got the car it came with a system and the doors are wired with aftermarket wire all the way to the amp but not sure of the gauge

also when you say rewire to the doors do you mean the speaker wires in the doors? when i got the car it came with a system and the doors are wired with aftermarket wire all the way to the amp but not sure of the gauge
yes, your good then.

also my doors are very large and deep. from the one time i did remove the panel to see what speakers i had it looked really empty. so im thinking of doing sealed or vented boxes in the doors. i have been doing a lil reading on what i could find out about it and it doesn't seem like to many people have done it or even like the idea. i know the speakers are designed for the so called ib effect of a sealed door. but like i said i like fab work so im willing to destroy my door but im just wondering if anyone knows anyone who has done it that i could get info from.

I got a 00 explorer... I am slowly doing an install as well.. Im looking forward to head about your fab work with the doors as I am thinking about doing the same.. Im just nto as experienced as you lol

well for the subs i would spend 200-300 per sub but i would probably have to buy one at a time so im not sure the power of the amp but what ever would run both subs. i don't want to buy an amp for one sub then in like 2 months have to buy a different amp for both subs. But with what ever subs i do end up getting i was thinking of something with high efficiency and large box cuz doesn't that mean i don't have to be high power? Im not sure if that is a good type of combo tho for SQL... and i really don't have a set budget in mind for the amp. i never bought anything new or for very much. i always got stuff from kids that would sell like kicker 1000.1 or 750.1 for like 60$ i even got a jl 1000.1 for like 100$ once. i don't want to spend a bunch on amps but i am willing to spend more time saving to get a good amp... the hybrid audio i was kinda interested in but when ever i find a place selling them its like 300- 400. i saw in a post the other night that someone recommend them n said they can be found nib for 200. but he didn't say where thanks for the infor i will have to look into the suggestions you gave
well the setup quakhead recomended for you would probably be right up your alley. i would look into the hat imagine comps, very good budget comps. hard to beat for the money.

well the setup quakhead recomended for you would probably be right up your alley. i would look into the hat imagine comps, very good budget comps. hard to beat for the money.
where can i get them for the best price? is there a vender here? i have looked in to that set before i was definitely interested but i did a quick search and found them for 300$ and i think i could get them for way better price

I got a 00 explorer... I am slowly doing an install as well.. Im looking forward to head about your fab work with the doors as I am thinking about doing the same.. Im just nto as experienced as you lol
well work is a lil slow for me right now so i will have a lot of time to work on the expy but not much cash so it will be a slow process. but i will definitely try to remember to take pics

where can i get them for the best price? is there a vender here? i have looked in to that set before i was definitely interested but i did a quick search and found them for 300$ and i think i could get them for way better price
go to there website, they probably have a dealer locator and find the nearest dealer to you. dealers usually offer you the best prices. if not start a thread asking where is the best place to buy them. i haved never looked into them personally so i couldnt tell you where is the best price to buy them.

That B2 I suggested would deliver 700-800watts to one D4 sub at 2ohms...then a simple matter of adding the other D4 sub later would drop the amp down to 1 ohm for 1400 watts rms.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.