97 malibu water pump

kurrupt
10+ year member

hustlenomics
neenah,wi
has anyone changed one of these before? the water pump is connected to the timing chain which i have never seen before so im wondering how hard it is going to be to change.

iv never had to deal with timing chains but i dont think it should be that bad

Ummm what motor do you have in it. 3.8 ,3.4

I have done water pump in plenty of GM cars and never had to touch the timing chain or came close to it.

If it is a '97 Malibu it is a 3100 V6...

and the waterpump is NOT at all, in any way connected to the timing chain! It is held in by 5 bolts around the perimeter and took me about 10 minutes start to finish to change... I'll make a quick step-by-step for you

1. drain the coolant

2. take off the serp. belt

3. take out the 5 bolts holding the water pump in place (8mm or 10mm, I have seen both)

4. remove water pump and gasket

5. clean the mounting surface on teh water pump housing

6. transfer water pump pulley from old water pump to the new water pump (torque the four bolts to 18lb/ft)

7. install new waterpump and gasket (it will only go on ONE way, it looks symmetric but it isn't, I also suggest a little RTV or something on teh first few threads to help prevent leaks)

8. install waterpump bolts and torque to 89lb/in (DO NOT over tighten, they are small and will SNAP EASILY)

9. put belt back on

10. refill coolant

heres is a picture of the water pump for you.

It will be a tight squeeze getting between the motor and the inner wheel well but I promise you can.

If it is a 2.4 4cyl, it is connected to the timing chain and it pays 6.3 hrs to replace.
fuck me, you are absolutely right... I forgot some came with a 2.4L (I have never personaly seen one, lots in the sunfires, cavaliers, aleros etc... around here though)

Yeah, that will NOT be fun and if you aren't pretty mechanicaly inclined(sp?), I would take it somewhere for sure!

you need to register but it free and WELL worth it if yo are going to try yourself.... it a step-by-step with pictures

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/83wm-98-chevy-malibu-4-cylinder-engine

Shoot who cares lol. The guy hasnet even looked at his own thread. I think he should take it some place anyways. Whatever motor is in it. lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.