8w7 Repair possible?

they can refoam it or you can buy a new surround and the right glue and do it yourself...they sell surround parts also
Right but for some reason its impossible to find to it... I can find the W6 one but the W7 one is like impossible to find...

Just looked at their website. They are able to recone 8w7s. Thats it tho.. no 10w7 no 12w7 no 13w7...errrrr.

go on there and check it out.

Speaker Repair Center at Parts Express 40,000+ speakers reconed

they do seem to have alot of brands and options.

I have a few 8w6's also and i tried the refoam kit but it was a waste of money. the surround you get is a generic surround that will fit many different brands. there are only a few 8" subs that have the high excursion like the jl's. the new surround doesn't allow the cone to move freely, not sure of the right terminology but if the sub should move 3" its now limited to moving 2" and inorder for the sub to play right it needs the entire 3". So the end result is a sub that looks good again but only sounds good at low volume.

Gave them a call this morning and they said its a misprint . They repair a number of jl subs but they are unable to repair W7 subs

Okay here are some pics. I finally got the ball$ to tear one of these subs apart. the voice coil is 2 1/2", the copper wire goes 2" up the coil, the coil part is about 4 1/4" long from the bottom to the cone, i think the top part of the motor where the basket screws in is 5 1/2", the space between the basket and the magnet is3/8". the distance from the center of opposite screws is4 1/2" and from screw to screw is 2 1/4"

oh and sorry i took pics with the metric side of the ruler.

I used Loctite's Vinyl, Fabric & Plastic Flexible Adhesive. I will say that the sub does not look pretty but it works. It is very flexible and allows the sub to have full motion. I recommend this after consulting a few sub owners that work at Lowe's and personal experience. Make sure to use a few layers.

ya know those lowes people know what they are doing with subs now,lol. sorry bro it just made me lol
*Sigh* Clearly I meant that the people I spoke to at Lowe's had experience in their own car audio and gave me some advice. This along with advice from other people on this site made me take the recommendation of the Lowe's employees as a viable means of "re-gluing" the sub together. Gluing foam back on a sub is totally different than wiring a sub. Making this comment is like saying "Ya know those walmart people know what their doing with bandaids now, lol. sorry bro it made me lol." You don't need to be an expert on subs to know what kind of glue is good. : |. To be a bit more feasible, a Lowe's employee would know more about adhesives than a car audio repairer. I swear, throw out a comment and everyone is looking to deconstruct your logic.

*Sigh* Clearly I meant that the people I spoke to at Lowe's had experience in their own car audio and gave me some advice. This along with advice from other people on this site made me take the recommendation of the Lowe's employees as a viable means of "re-gluing" the sub together. Gluing foam back on a sub is totally different than wiring a sub. Making this comment is like saying "Ya know those walmart people know what their doing with bandaids now, lol. sorry bro it made me lol." You don't need to be an expert on subs to know what kind of glue is good. : |. To be a bit more feasible, a Lowe's employee would know more about adhesives than a car audio repairer. I swear, throw out a comment and everyone is looking to deconstruct your logic.
I know you were trying to help but Its funny you mention band aids because thats all the glue, liquid electric tape, silicone, etc. does. Its just a Band Aid. my sub worked beautiful for about a year with the silicone on it but eventually that started to break apart. Unfortunately it seems that the only way to really repair a w7 is to let JL do it. Or use the motor to build it into something else but of course you no longer have a w7.

lowes people know more about glues than sub builders,bla ha ha.

real fix is reconing, correct all other ways are bandaids. they will help but only last soo long...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.