8w7 Repair possible?

Chipmunk2k3
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Is it possible to repair/re-cone a JL Audio 8w7 without paying JL a million dollars? Subs still play but surrounds are cracking and peeling.

I know I read somewhere that guys were using the motors with other companies recone kits but i cant seem to find that thread. I've never built a sub before but this could be a learning experience and as it stands now i'll have a few expensive paperweights soon so why not play around.

:confused:okay say it again in english this time. Thanks for the reply and effort to help but I have no clue what your talking about. As I said I've never done anything like this before.

And what part of NY are you located I noticed your name as one of the guys here that repairs subs. If your not too far I have no prob taking a road trip.

If you keep the JL frame, it will require the JL surround style, which is proprietary and found no where else (that I know of) besides JL Audio.
Okay that raises another question. If I go with new baskets etc wont that end up costing about the $200+ that JL wants to recone. A guy on here has some 1508 baskets for like 30bucks.

what else will I need and is it likely that I will get a sub as good or better than the original

if i can get measurments to see if i have access to a coil that fits dont worry about the rest. if he is selling the dd baskets $30 for the pair shipped that is ok but if each dont do it.

ur taking about half of what jl wants bro with different baskets. i might be able to use the baskets even dont know.

i nor nobody can help you with out accurate measurments or sending a motor in...

The new frame would have to be redrilled to fit the bolt pattern on the JL motor. Last person I knew to do this was PSI. He indicated that he could build a better over all sub using a more standard motor, and basically said it was only a good idea if you already had a JL motor laying around (dont go out and by one just to build up into a frankenwoofer).

have redrilled alot of baskets and motors over the yrs. i have even spun a 8" basket on the lath for a bigger coil, its all gravy.

he has 2 that are damaged wants them fixed.

If you want to be cheap and don't care about cosmetics then go to Walmart's auto section and look for LIQUID electrical tape or sealant or whatever they last called it. It turns into flexible rubber after it dries, so just brush that snizzle over the cracks(covering bout 1/4" wide) on top and bottom sides of the surround, wait for an hour or so to dry and BAM! It's good to go.

If you want to be cheap and don't care about cosmetics then go to Walmart's auto section and look for LIQUID electrical tape or sealant or whatever they last called it. It turns into flexible rubber after it dries, so just brush that snizzle over the cracks(covering bout 1/4" wide) on top and bottom sides of the surround, wait for an hour or so to dry and BAM! It's good to go.
Done that with silicone on one of the subs and now the silicone is starting to peel so I know its time to either buy new subs or repair these.

Dimensions. NOW
What and where do I measure? Please be specific. I'll get acurate measurements once i know what to measure.

I had four and sold one i,ve been running three sealed .85cubes each on the big belle.

I know there are a million other options out there but I love it when people think I have 12's or 15's and then i pop the trunck and show them these tiny monsters.

I'll get pics up in a few but I warn you its not pretty

What and where do I measure? Please be specific. I'll get acurate measurements once i know what to measure.
I had four and sold one i,ve been running three sealed .85cubes each on the big belle.

I know there are a million other options out there but I love it when people think I have 12's or 15's and then i pop the trunck and show them these tiny monsters.

I'll get pics up in a few but I warn you its not pretty
Measure the Pole ID and top plate

Measure the Pole ID and top plate
SPLaudio said the same thing but Uh I dont know what a Pole ID and top plate is

I've done tons of systems built boxes fiberglassed door panels but unfortunately I have nevr taken a sub apart so i'm clueless.

Please excuse my ignorance:confused:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.