8ohm tweeter with 6ohm X-over.. advise please!

Participant count
  • Participant list

got-one-eight
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I noticed with my new setup that the components feel a bit underpowered. My new tweets are 8ohm but measure (6.2ohm) and my old tweets were 6ohm but measure (5.5 ohm). I was thinking of briding my amp for 350x2 and going back passive to see how it sounds. Now my Dynaudio MD102 tweeter would normally have come with an X-over that cuts off at 2.2khz 12db slope. This X-over I have for my Morels cuts off at 1.8khz with a 12db slope. If what I read is right.. raising the resistance will raise the cutoff points which should push this setup closer to the 2.2khz I should be running. Is this right? They are really only about .7 ohm off from each other according to the Fluke meter. I can also set my mid to 6db slope to let it play a bit higher to make up for the tweeter being cutoff higher than the mid... atleast if my theory is right.

Lowering the impedence of the driver will cross LOWER. Go active or go home.
Im not lowering the impedence.. im raising it.. and I have already been active. Morel makes some very good Passive X-overs that can take a lot of power and have a lot of adjustment. Im just curious how the cutoff point would be effected.

Im not lowering the impedence.. im raising it.. and I have already been active. Morel makes some very good Passive X-overs that can take a lot of power and have a lot of adjustment. Im just curious how the cutoff point would be effected.
and to be very honest, going with an active xover instead of the Morell piece can give you more adjustment and probably be cheaper. Just my two cents

When the driver impedance drops, the crossover point rises, when the drive impedance rises, the crossover frequency drops.
Thats the opposite of what I keep reading... even the guy above said lowering the impedance lowers the cutoff... I am raising the impedance so it should raise the cutoff? How sure are you with what your saying?

and to be very honest, going with an active xover instead of the Morell piece can give you more adjustment and probably be cheaper. Just my two cents
I am already active.. I feel there is a lack of power so I wanted to try bridign the amp and going passive. I was passive orginally and it sounded great.

to each their own then, I went active, then passive, and now i'm back to active and loving it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Yeah, there is a lot of adjustability and I can get it sounding good but 90x4 active just doesn't have enough balls to run Morel mids and Dynaudio tweets loud. Or maybe I just need help wtih the tune lol. I would still like an answer to my question.. I hate to run these passives and blow **** up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.