8in subs

Participant count
  • Participant list
Yeah, you probably would gain some by using more subs and using a larger box. The sundown 8 is one of the better 8s on the market. you could do 2 SA8 on a 1.5 k amp.

What i have always wondered is, watt for watt, whats is better, a standard 8 inch or a shallow mount 12. Ported to ported, sealed to sealed.
Now there’s a big question. you can possibly fit 2 normal 8 inch subs into the same air space as a shallow mount 12. If you’re comparing just any 8 on the market to a shallow mount 12 with no mounting depth restrictions I’d choose normal 8s over any shallow mount sub and buy monster 1000 watt 8s. Sealed is the same deal, but some subs are better sealed and some are better ported. Let’s compare a single 8 ported in 1 cube and a shallow mount 12 sealed in 1 cube. I’ve heard the JL TW5 12 sealed and it had a really nice sound and played deep in 1 cube sealed. He had 2 of them sealed in 2 cubes on 1200 watts I think, and hit a 139.xx db at that show. Very respectable for a musical setup and it sounded great. I had a single 8 ported on 500 watts and hit 133.7, also in a musical box, not a high tuned SPL box. I had half the box size, half the wattage and half the cone area. If I doubled rhe box size, doubled the cone area and double my wattage maybe I beat the 139.xx, maybe not. Sound deadener matters, amps your power system has available to use for audio matters, your source head unit matters, etc. etc. There are just too many factors to say 1 way is better than another if compared correctly.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...