89 Pontiac GP is a lemon...neon for $100?

fatryan
5,000+ posts

Banned
So i took my new 89 grand prix to get inspected today, and the mechanic tells me it needs thousands worth of work. which includes:

engine mount

ball joint

leaf spring

cat

exhaust (from cat back)

starter

engine smokes (???)

+ more i cant remember

so it was a total waste of $700, not to mention the $200 i sunk into it afterwards.

anyways, i need a new beater. luckily my GF's friend just got a new car. so she planned on junking her old one (96 dodge neon), but i told her id buy it for $100. its pretty much the base model except it has auto tranny. its got that god awful baby blue paint (which it chipping like crazy). and the **** car vibrates like no other when idle. she said it wont pass inspection (which is up in july). do you guys think its worth buying even if i only have it until july? i mean, its only $100...

So i took my new 89 grand prix to get inspected today, and the mechanic tells me it needs thousands worth of work. which includes:
engine mount

ball joint

leaf spring

cat

exhaust (from cat back)

starter

engine smokes (???)

+ more i cant remember

so it was a total waste of $700, not to mention the $200 i sunk into it afterwards.

anyways, i need a new beater. luckily my GF's friend just got a new car. so she planned on junking her old one (96 dodge neon), but i told her id buy it for $100. its pretty much the base model except it has auto tranny. its got that god awful baby blue paint (which it chipping like crazy). and the **** car vibrates like no other when idle. she said it wont pass inspection (which is up in july). do you guys think its worth buying even if i only have it until july? i mean, its only $100...
'89 grand prixs had leaf spring? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

buy it. and after the inspection goes up, wall it for SPL //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I owned a 96 Neon until 2001...as long as you keep the fluids changed you're good to go. One thing to watch for is the head gasket...Mopar made a REALLY shitty OEM gasket that goes fairly quickly...just keep and eye out for this.

Oh, and NEVER underestimate the POWER of a Neon...

I know 2 people who run the 1/4 mile in 12.x seconds...ALL NATURALLY ASPIRATED ON MOPAR PARTS!!!!!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

fatryan

5,000+ posts
Banned
fatryan
Southampton, Pa
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date