83 911SC Targa

finally had some time to spare so on with the build....

i apologize for the pic quality on some of these. i left my camera at work and had to use my broken iphone that is getting replaced tomorrow.

finished the framework for the enclosure / parcel shelf. normally i would use 3/4" but since i am only using a pair of 8s with ~200rms each (or less once i install and tune) and want to keep down on the weight i used 1/2" mdf. once the top is on (cut but no pics) it will be the same height as if the rear seatback were folded down.

i used my new jasper jig to cut out the holes but unfortunately i cut the flush mount face a little too small and had to go back around it with a jig saw. it's not perfect but it's close, and once the vinyl is on and i use some foam tape no one will ever know.

iphone2011.jpg

iphone2001.jpg

iphone2005.jpg

iphone2006.jpg

2 layers of painters tape in opposite directions

iphone2004.jpg

a layer of aluminum foil over that

iphone2009.jpg

here it is sitting on top of the prep work. have to go to home depot tomorrow and get some spray foam to fill in the gaps on the bottom and then i will start laying the glass for the base.

iphone2007.jpg

did a little research and decided to use floral foam instead of spray foam to fill in the gaps. it's super easy to shape/sand and resin does not stick to it. best of all a 3 block package is only $3.50 at walmart. looks like i will need 2 packs.

since i had to run up there i threw the top on just to snap a pic.

IMG_0006.jpg

free time is at a premium but once i get started i totally lose track of time. this is as much as i can get done today, tomorrow i will work on the mounting system. i am thinking some form of a small plate that i can connect between the inner seat belt mounting bolt and then a bolt through the middle brace. i won't know for sure until the enclosure is fully cured and i can stick it back in the car.

on to the pics...

first up was to clean up the flush mount holes in the front panel. covered the speaker in a few layers of tape to protect and help simulate the vinyl thickness

100_4694.jpg

100_4695.jpg

next i filled the mount with some duraglass around the edges and then set the woofer in place. i let it go just a bit beyond the green stage and then removed them. i was left with this.

100_4696.jpg

while it still is not perfect it is much better than it was and should look perfect once the vinyl is on.

time to start laying glass. this is in the car with 2 layers down. the green areas you see are the floral foam that i used to give me a better surface to lay the glass on. btw, if you ever need this stuff don't go to walmart like i did. i thought i would need more so while out supply hunting this morning i stopped at pat cataan's craft store. got the exact same thing, only with 4 blocks not 3, for $0.30 cheaper.

100_4699.jpg

100_4700.jpg

i let that cure and then removed it from the car for easier access while working (back and knees are gonna hurt tomorrow!). this is what the bottom looks like after removing the tape/foil/foam.

100_4704.jpg

100_4705.jpg

100_4706.jpg

100_4707.jpg

you can see here that even with 2 layers it still would let light through. this has nothing to do with the build but i smiled.

100_4703.jpg

it now has 6 layers of mat on the inside and i will let it fully cure overnight. more updates as they come...

had a few hours after work today so out to the garage....

first thing on the menu today was to seal up all the seams inside. normally this is done with a bead of silicone but i have a half gallon of duraglass sitting in the garage and no future plans for anymore fg work so i used it.

100_4709.jpg

next i glued and nailed the top on, then used more duraglass to seal it on as well.

100_4717.jpg

100_4718.jpg

i only had one woofer in the garage so i threw it in just to see what it would look like.

100_4710.jpg

100_4711.jpg

nice and flush. gravity was my enemy so it's sticking out a bit on the bottom but once it is secured in place it should be perfect.

100_4712.jpg

threw it in the car to get a better idea. it's kinda sad that the parts that took the most work, prep and thought will never even be seen.

100_4713.jpg

100_4715.jpg

100_4714.jpg

in my haste and/or excitement to get things done i completely forgot about a mounting system. luckily each side has a nice big gap.

100_4721.jpg

i plan on using a piece of metal bolted to the box and then to the seat belt bolt on the outside in the seat pan. it won't be impoosible to do but it certainly would have been much easier to do with the top off. if all goes well i should be dropping it off on wednesday to be covered.

oh man those little porches are not fun to work on haha. beautiful box, are you gonna make it into a little seat? all you'd need is upholstery of some kind and foam on top.. but it would only be a kids seat cause it's not THAT strong lol

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif:banghead://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif:banghead:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

nineball

10+ year member
too many toys...
nineball
home
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date