8 inch midbass recommendation

Participant count
  • Participant list

UMWDawg92
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Missoula, MT
I'm looking for what you guys think are good 8 inch midbass drivers for under $150 a pair. They will be powered with around 150@4ohms. I'm not sure if I'll be running IB or making pods yet. I've been really tempted to try the Aura NS8's for $20 a piece on Madisound. Others I've been looking at are Dayton RS225, peerless sls8 and Hivi m8a's. I only need them to play up to around 300hz as they'll be paired with a fullrange driver.

I don't need them to play any lower than ~63hz if they play lower I wouldn't mind but I don't require them to my Eclipse aluminum 15 will pick up from that point

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

oh and the fullrange I'm pairing them with are Dayton rs75's

I'm looking for what you guys think are good 8 inch midbass drivers for under $150 a pair. They will be powered with around 150@4ohms. I'm not sure if I'll be running IB or making pods yet. I've been really tempted to try the Aura NS8's for $20 a piece on Madisound. Others I've been looking at are Dayton RS225, peerless sls8 and Hivi m8a's. I only need them to play up to around 300hz as they'll be paired with a fullrange driver.
I've played with the daytons and peerless's. Both are beasts. Daytons are more efficient but if you got the power, the sls's can take a lot more. The sls's were more bottom heavy, they'd work really well as subs. The daytons could play a lot higher. Don't know about the hivi's or the aura's either, sorry.

I'd also make some pods for them, or at least try to seal your door as best you can, but if you had to run ib, the peerless sounded better free air if that helps, lol.

My vote...daytons...

I had a thread looking for 8" midbass a while back: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/speakers/529282-%24200-spend-8-midbass-4.html if you'd like to check it out.
Have u looked into the Tang Band line up? I personally think the Peerless SLS will be the best here. and I think they will be fine up to 300hz. Whatever full ranger u choose may even be able to come down a little lower.
Yea I googled for some threads and yours was one I read through. I really like tang band's line up but they jacked all their prices up so much now, I just traded some sweet tang band 6.5s but I wanted to go up to 8's. I think I might just try the Aura NS8's because they're so cheap if they **** it's not like I'm really out anything. I know the Aura NS6's with the same neo motor design are extremely nice for the price.

Yea I googled for some threads and yours was one I read through. I really like tang band's line up but they jacked all their prices up so much now, I just traded some sweet tang band 6.5s but I wanted to go up to 8's. I think I might just try the Aura NS8's because they're so cheap if they **** it's not like I'm really out anything. I know the Aura NS6's with the same neo motor design are extremely nice for the price.
They definitely are worth a try at that price and maybe you'll like em. Be sure to post a review if you do. I have to say though, in my search on them, I found that the midbass wasn't much but the reviewer could have been expecting more than u are.

although i don't really want to sell them, i have 2 like new 8 inch rockford fosgate audiophile 8s, there really isn't much better out there, don't see many arguing that either. pm me if you are interested.

They definitely are worth a try at that price and maybe you'll like em. Be sure to post a review if you do. I have to say though, in my search on them, I found that the midbass wasn't much but the reviewer could have been expecting more than u are.
I searched some reviews too and couldn't more than a few people that said much about them, I modeled them in WinISD and they model pretty well in small ported enclosures. I may try to see if I can build some door pods at about .3 cubes and port them tuned to ~45, it would give them and f3 of around 45hz in a small enclosure... I just can't decide on if I wanna do the extra work for that.

I searched some reviews too and couldn't more than a few people that said much about them, I modeled them in WinISD and they model pretty well in small ported enclosures. I may try to see if I can build some door pods at about .3 cubes and port them tuned to ~45, it would give them and f3 of around 45hz in a small enclosure... I just can't decide on if I wanna do the extra work for that.
That sounds pretty promising actually. If all else fails, and you end up not liking those drivers, there are a few others that may like that enclosure. I remember someone telling me the Peerless likes small ported enclosures too. I believe silver flute has an 8incher too. Alot of those DIY drivers like small ported from what I've read. I say go for it especially if you're planning to use DIY drivers. Not alot of their specs lend them selves to the "IB" enclosure that is our door (though some can be made to work). Pods seem like a great way to go IMO

I finally decided to keep it simple and went with some beasty 7's since they lowered the price on the Exodus Anarchys I have a pair on the way now

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.