720 prs vs Polk MOMOs vs type X

hondarider
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I think that i want one of these options. So which one do you think is better than the other two and why? Has anyone heard 2 of these to compare them against each other? They are all pretty close in price. I don't have an amp yet but it will probably be about 100 rms x 2 @ 4.

I have heard the TypeX's and the MOMO's and they are both ok. The TypeX's in my opinion are pretty weak, they dont get loud enough, and the tweeters off axis response is crap. I've had alot of time tweaking the TypeX's and im very unimpressed for how much they cost. The MOMO's are a very solid speaker set and i know they are pretty inexpensive. I dont think the MOMO's really stand out at anything in particular, but they dont **** at anything either. Pretty Solid performance.

Now i have not had a chance to hear the 720prs yet, but the people who have heard them, are crazy for them. Alot of people have been saying they sound better than ANYTHING under a $500 price tag. And thats a very bold statement. For the price of the 720's im willing to be that they will smoke the MOMO's and TypeX's. In fact, im thinking about putting those in to replace my XR's instead. Hope this helps.

Ya thanks. Ive read several time that the type Xs don't get real loud. And i was leaning towards the 720 prs but it seems weird there only rated at 50 wrms.

its nothing to worry about. from some of the reviews for the 720's people are send them anywhere from 100 to 120rms. all you gotta do is watch your gains and make sure you cross everything over correctly.

I'm runnin the Polk's, 125 watts a side and they are pretty nice speakers, quite loud, although somewhat harsh w/o proper eq'ing. Solid speakers.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7302

Go to that link. A nice huge review of the 720prs for you. The MOMO's are nice speakers but I think the 720prs is in a league of its own in this comparison. Another set of comps to consider might be the JL XR's. They sound much better for the price than the TypeX's and they are still better than the MOMO's. People on this board all seem to like the Rainbow SLC's in the same price range. But the review states that the 720prs is nicer than the XR's and the SLC's for the same price.

I have the type x and the prs sets. the prs's are in a different galaxy as far as midbass goes. they are great sound all around too. I kinda like the real laid back sound of the type x but would buy the prs's any day over the other 2.

the momo's are good. I had them (still do, well, without the crossover because they were stolen) but they are harsh for non-metal tweeters. I had mine on -6 and they were still harsh.

Anyway, i'd agree with zSnb. They good at everything, but nothing spectacular in anything.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7302
Go to that link. A nice huge review of the 720prs for you. The MOMO's are nice speakers but I think the 720prs is in a league of its own in this comparison. Another set of comps to consider might be the JL XR's. They sound much better for the price than the TypeX's and they are still better than the MOMO's. People on this board all seem to like the Rainbow SLC's in the same price range. But the review states that the 720prs is nicer than the XR's and the SLC's for the same price.
And as we all know, reading reviews is MUCH more important that actually listening.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

And as we all know, reading reviews is MUCH more important that actually listening.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
if the man had the chance to listen to all three do you think he would have to ask us which one sounds better??? way to be helpful.

I live in a small town so the one shop i do have is very small. It does have alpine however they don't carry type x components. So i don't have a chance to hear any of these before i buy.

type x get plenty loud. as long as u cross them over high enough.

the woofers have 3mm linear xmax, so dont expect much low end.

the tweeters are actually quite good off-axis. has rolled off top end obviously, but still maintains a lotta detail. if ur looking for sparkle or impact, this set is not for u anyway.

my friend said it actually sounded like stock speakers. it doesn't have the "wow" factor that other sets do. instead, its a very natural, smooth sounding set.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

hondarider

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
hondarider
glidden, IA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date