70wx4 decsently clean amp VS 60wx4 really clean amp

Timbo74

CarAudio.com Regular
I have three 4 channel amps, but one is out of the running.
What amp would you rather run in an active setup to your doors?
I have one class d amp that is rated 70x4 @4ohm it’s signal to noise ratio is 93db
I also have a class a/b amp that that is rated at 60x4 @4ohm but it’s signal to noise ratio is 100db

Which would you run?
I’m leaning towards the class a/b amp for its shear cleaness.

Depends on what you're running with them and what your goals are!!! I personally would go with the 70x4 because of the headroom available. A lot of people don't realize that 70 watts to a mid or tweeter is a lot of power!! My fronts are rated at 100 watts and I am planning on running a 100x4 but I highly doubt I will be sending the full 100 to them!! I remember back in the day I had a Kenwood that was pushing 50x4. I ran the fronts off of 2 channels and ran a (2) 12" pioneer subs off the rear channel. The fronts were overpowering loud!!

I think my Boston SL60s are 80w rms.
I’m running 140w per side right now active.
I was just curious what the effect would be on sq, if any, if I went to 120w per side, but with a bit cleaner amp.

What are the amps? (*Decently)
I was running my JL jx400.4d, and Alpine mrv 500-1 d....the JL I believe has a 93db s/n ratio, the Alpine has 80 something...where both the Ts are 100db s/n ratio.
I just changed over to a CT T-1000.1d
And a T-60.4....I only bought because I had a 20% discount, and I wanted matching amps.
Thanks for being descent.

This is what I got done today, and maybe it’s the tuning, but I most definitely gained some loudness! The doors are playing louder, and clearer. The sub is hitting harder for sure, and playing louder.
I’m very happy!
11C4975C-5124-4D30-A74A-16B9A3FB35F2.jpeg
9DFC685B-B281-4008-96B0-78721F685F59.jpeg
BB6D1B0D-4DD9-4EB6-84E4-E0A3FE3AEB72.jpeg
EFCABD27-1854-4E8F-8746-AC1267F0840A.jpeg

I
Run them both and do a trial period for like a week and let your ears decide.

Btw, why are you running a cap?
I have actually been running the JL, Alpine amp setup for a few weeks, with dsp...and I can tell you for sure already...the CT amp setup is much better.
My doors are louder, have better mb, and cleaner highs. The type r seems tighter, more punchy, less boomy on certain music, and can play louder, and cleaner....So far Its an improvement.

Enclosure looks like particle board. Holding up ok?
Actually, yes so far. I went with particle board, because it was all I could get in town, and this enclosure was a test to see if I liked a custom ported enclosure vs my sealed enclosure. I didn’t want to pay someone with a truck to transport a sheet of mdf from Menards, to my house, without even knowing if I would like it. The particle board enclosure cost me $13 or 14 bucks including glue.
The type r is eventually going in the other car, I’m looking at getting a nice ten instead, because real estate is very limited in my car. Currently, I cannot even install the box in the rear of the trunk due to the torsion springs interfering....I know the enclosure could just be redesigned, but I just want more room.
I know it’s gonna be a wait, but I’m thinking about ordering this Monday, and building a custom vented enclosure. https://ficaraudio.com/product/x-series-x10/

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.