6'5" high sensitivy component speakers recommendation

Participant count
  • Participant list

MicraMan

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi, I have a Nissan micra K12 which I want to make an upgrade in the music system. First I changed the HU and placed a Sony DSX-A410BT radio, and there is no amp. I am looking forward to more quality than quantity, but if some Watts can be gain thanks to a higher sensitivity they will be welcomed.

I don't want to spend 200€ in a set of speakers, as this is an old car and don't know how much will last, but it's my main car and need it to sound well.

Does come in mind any good candidate?

Thanks

Reading technical articles it seems one shouldn't mix a low wattage amplifier with speakers having a lot of watts, because this would brake the tweeters in a mid-short time. (i.e.: 17w RMS on the amplifier with 60w RMS on the speakers). Also read the recomended relation between (1)amplifier and (2)speakers should be at least 1:2.

If this is true, and I asume it is if some of you don't deny it. How I have to do to find a set of component speakers for my 17w RMS radio? All the speakers I found have at least 50w RMS.

I am a bit lost here.

Your head unit is 55w x 4 (Peak). You are probably about 22-30w RMS.

Is $200 your max budget for everything?

What size speakers do you have?

Why does having an old car mean you don't want to spend money on the stereo? If you get a new car, then take the stereo out, and take it with you.

Your 3 options are
1. Buy an amp. Even a used one that's about 100w x 2 rms. You should be able to find one for $50-$100, then use the rest to find some decent speakers that are about $100 and 100w x 2, and save about $30 for wiring. You can find $50 speakers that will play off 100 watts, and you can find several hundred, and thousand dollar speakers that will play well off 100 watts. This way you get it going, and if you ever want to upgrade, you just upgrade the speakers.

2. Buy a different head unit. Your head unit is 55w x 4, so probably half that RMS. Find a head unit that is 50w x 4 RMS. Then you can find 4 speakers that are 40-60w RMS and you are done with it.

3. Buy speakers that are about 25w RMS. They won't be much of an improvement unless the ones you have are already damaged. Could probably even buy used speakers out of another vehicle that are a better quality, (but don't expect much unless they are some special name, and if they are, they are probably going to cost more).

I don't know anything about Spain, but here I could always find a small 2ch x100w amp for $40 or $50 all over the place. If you have ebay, craigslist, or any car meets or car show, you can always ask, and buying used you have a better chance of getting a package deal. Better chance on getting the wiring included, or a discount for speakers and an amp if they have it.

When you say 1:2. RMS is USUALLY half of Peak/MAX, but not always. Match up RMS numbers. Don't need to be exact, but 10% is no problem.

Your head unit is 55w x 4 (Peak). You are probably about 22-30w RMS.
I was thinking in something more like 17W RMS, but if you are right, the better for me.

Is $200 your max budget for everything?

What size speakers do you have?
200€ is more a number to avoid haha I found a second hand 100xW amplifier for 30€, and a set of component speakers for 60€. This, plus the 40€ of the Sony DSX-A410BT, it would be more or less what I want to spend.

1. Buy an amp. Even a used one that's about 100w x 2 rms. You should be able to find one for $50-$100, then use the rest to find some decent speakers that are about $100 and 100w x 2, and save about $30 for wiring. You can find $50 speakers that will play off 100 watts, and you can find several hundred, and thousand dollar speakers that will play well off 100 watts. This way you get it going, and if you ever want to upgrade, you just upgrade the speakers.
This is from what I am running away, but it seems it si probably what I would do at the end. The install and the purchasing it is not a problem, it is just I am trying to not have to do all this work. I don't have all the free time I would like to.

2. Buy a different head unit. Your head unit is 55w x 4, so probably half that RMS. Find a head unit that is 50w x 4 RMS. Then you can find 4 speakers that are 40-60w RMS and you are done with it.
In other thread I have ask about Head units having more than those 55W PMPO, and someone answered saying it is not common that a radio have more than those 55W, maybe 60W, PMPO. I bought the Sony DSX-A410BT because i I have read on a web it was a good quality and powerfull radio, but it seems it isn't true.

3. Buy speakers that are about 25w RMS. They won't be much of an improvement unless the ones you have are already damaged. Could probably even buy used speakers out of another vehicle that are a better quality, (but don't expect much unless they are some special name, and if they are, they are probably going to cost more).
Why wouldn't be much of an improvement? The idea is to grow in quality, not in power. If I buy a good brand like Pioneer of JVC it seems to me they would be better than the stock. Don't understand this point.

Last edited:
You don't have a lot of power to work with and lower power speakers are built light and therefore more efficient. With HU power you probably won't see a big improvement over the high efficiency OEM drivers. Maybe do some research and start looking at used market. May have to reconsider the budget.

There's just not really a market for people wanting high quality low power speakers. They also wouldn't get very loud, and if they are only going to be low volume, then what's the point? You're not going to notice a difference at minimal volume.

As long as you don't want some fancy custom install, and you know what you're doing, then installing a 2ch amp with a pair of components, is pretty straight forward. It should be quick as long as everything is already going to fit, and you don't have to do custom stuff like: get cables made, or routed where you have to take things off to get to stuff, make custom mounts.

It sounds to me like you have the answer, you just need to go and do it so its done.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...