6 yr old Pioneer CD changer problems

Participant count
  • Participant list

jeremy3721

OK, I'm not the most knowledgable person when it comes to car audio but I'm really hoping you guys can help me get my pioneer changer working again. It's a long story to how I got to where I am now but I'll give it a try.

I bought the changer in 1995 and had problems with it for the life of it (Pioneer couldn't find the problem) I eventually found out that one of the jacks in the back of the changer had a broken connection that was causing the changer to cut out from time to time.

I decided to try and fix it myself since the warranty was out by the time I found the problem. I took the back off with it plugged in like and idiot and lost power to the changer and the display up front. (A blown fuse I suspected) A technician removed my cd's for me but wanted $275 to fix it. I didn't have the money. I searched and searched for a fuse in the changer and along the wiring but never found it so I had pretty much given up hope.

Today a friend was going to help me install a very old crappy changer someone gave me which I didn't even know if it would work. After about 5 minutes I noticed he had pulled out the fuse holder to the Pioneer which I could never find. Sure enough it had a blown fuse (I felt like and idiot at this point).

We decided to replace the fuse and give the old pioneer one more try after a year and sure enough it fired right up. I intially got a E NC error (no cartridge I guess) but I was extremely excited just to get power to the changer and display since this was the problem to begin with. Since the changer's cover was removed at this point we went in and put the covers back on the changer and eagerly came back out after inserting the cartridge. Again the changer accepted the cartridge but I recieved an E 70 error message. Then it changed to an E A0 message at which point we no longer were getting power to the changer itself. The display is still working but I have no idea what happened. I repaired the old problem with the jack a year ago but that wasn't the problem. The blown fuse was obvious my problem, I just didn't know anyone at the time to point me in the right direction with some friendly advice.

We never bolted the changer down to the car during our testing and I did have to splice wires back together from my intial attempts at repairing the unit and trying to get my full cartridge out after it first lost power. Is there a grounding issue when the unit is not bolted down? Could the spliced wires be causing a problem? Could the cartridge just be jammed (I doubt this because the unit makes no noise and the light doesn't come on, only the display works at this point).

Any advice of what I should do next would be very much appreciated. I hate to waste $275 just to have a simple problem repaired. The present problem had to of occured between the time we replaced the fuse today and putting the shell back on.

Thanks for your help. Hope this makes sense. Email me at jeremy@levelbest.com if you need more clarification.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.