6 Channel amp Wiring help. (ohm loads ect.)

Shijima

Canada
Hey all Im fairly new to Car audio, and after a little research thought I was ready to dive head first into a project.

Wrong.

The setup was to run my speakers off channels 1+2(front) 3+4(rear) and channel 5+6 would be bridged to run the sub.

Anyways heres the situation, the a6450 from jl said it puts 150W x1bridged channel into a 4 ohm load. Now I was thinking that one Jl 10w3v2 4 ohm DVC subwoofer, would match up pretty well, since 150W is far below the continuous RMS rating of the sub, but above the minimum RMS.

I finally got both the units and after reading the instructions I find that when you wire one W3v2 in series, it puts the ohm load up to 8 and I can only get 90W from the amp to an 8ohm load, which is just barely within the minimum RMS for the sub.

But If I wire it in parallel It lowers the ohm load to 2 ohms, which the amplifier says it should not run an ohm load less than 4 when bridging channels.

How can I wire it so theres 4 ohms going into the subwoofer?

You cant get a 4 ohm final load from a 4ohm dvc sub.

my best advice would be to wire chan 5 to coil and chan 6 to the other coil, this will give each coil whatever the amp is rated to put at 4 ohms

That would be 5 and 6 running as 5 and 6, not a single channel.
Wire one coil to 5, and one coil to 6, presenting a 4 ohm load to each.
but then he'd have to figure out how to isolate just the bass, instead of the full range of noise, correct? I know nothing about 6ch amps FYI-

but then he'd have to figure out how to isolate just the bass, instead of the full range of noise, correct? I know nothing about 6ch amps FYI-

My amp has a few filters HP/LP/OFF, So I think i would be fine in that department, but I might lose my ability to have Subwoofer control through the headunit, but im brand new to car audio, so I could be wrong.

Heres a pic from JL showing what my amp is like.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps_lineart.php?amp_id=403

judging by the controls, the 5+6 channels are meant for subwoofer control. Simply take the subwoofer RCA(s) and plug them into the 5+6 rca ports. Switch the "input mode" to sum, bass boost off, Filter mode to LPF, and the filter knob to ~80hz.

That should work out to be a nice setup. Make sure to set your gains correctly (Input sens) with the gain tutorial in the amplifier section.

Matt.

judging by the controls, the 5+6 channels are meant for subwoofer control. Simply take the subwoofer RCA(s) and plug them into the 5+6 rca ports. Switch the "input mode" to sum, bass boost off, Filter mode to LPF, and the filter knob to ~80hz.
That should work out to be a nice setup. Make sure to set your gains correctly (Input sens) with the gain tutorial in the amplifier section.

Matt.

Ok and so that would work well with with the aforementioned setup of 1 channel per coil?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.