6 18" IA DR's

If I'm not mistaken I thought the gain knob was a signal control not a volume control. For example, your head unit is at 1/4 volume you woul set your gain at 3/4, or if your at 1/2 volume you would set at the amp at 1/2 gain. I know using a DMM is the best way but this has yet to fail me.

Drew

^^^You are kinda on the right track.The gain setting on the amp is based on the output voltage of the deck or line driver supplying the signal.The lower the voltage the higher the gain would be.The way you describe you would constantly be changing the gain knob.

You want to set the gain max at the highest listening volume on the deck,which should be just below clipping.But normaly I just set the volume at 3/4 and make my amp adjustments from there.

^^^You are kinda on the right track.The gain setting on the amp is based on the output voltage of the deck or line driver supplying the signal.The lower the voltage the higher the gain would be.The way you describe you would constantly be changing the gain knob.You want to set the gain max at the highest listening volume on the deck,which should be just below clipping.But normaly I just set the volume at 3/4 and make my amp adjustments from there.
Thats exactly what I do, volume at 3/4 max then I'll set my amp at quarter gain or so and leave it. So you set volume at 3/4 and gain at max? Wouldn't you get tons of distortion that way. Whenever I set the gain it is never exacty the same I just listen for distortion and back off. I was just giving an example of how it is usually set after I listen to it. There is no real guide I just go by ear.

Drew

It depends on the output voltage. A HU with a low voltage would need more gain than a HU with a high voltage. You can't just say that if your volume is at 1/2 set the gain so added together they equal one.

Thats exactly what I do, volume at 3/4 max then I'll set my amp at quarter gain or so and leave it. So you set volume at 3/4 and gain at max? Wouldn't you get tons of distortion that way. Whenever I set the gain it is never exacty the same I just listen for distortion and back off. I was just giving an example of how it is usually set after I listen to it. There is no real guide I just go by ear.

Drew
No what I am saying is I set my volume to the max listening volume,the highest I turn it up,then set my gains.Th egain could be 1/2 way 3/4 5/8 like you said its all varible.I just ment that you can't just say casue the volume is 3/4 th gain is 1/4.

That is all:)

It depends on the output voltage. A HU with a low voltage would need more gain than a HU with a high voltage. You can't just say that if your volume is at 1/2 set the gain so added together they equal one.
I never said that I do that, it just works out that way most of the time. I set it by ear and it come out different everytime. One thing I never do is max the gain out on my amps, the most I think I've ran is 3/4 gain with an old JVC w/ maybe 1 volt preouts.

Drew

I never said that I do that, it just works out that way most of the time. I set it by ear and it come out different everytime. One thing I never do is max the gain out on my amps, the most I think I've ran is 3/4 gain with an old JVC w/ maybe 1 volt preouts.

Drew
I get what your saying.I think where saying the same thing just in different trems.

All is good in da hood:D

ok ok ok no fighting sir's hahahaha

Unfortunatley i havent gotten a chance to take the DMM to her yet- What I was told to do by Mike @ Maxxsonics was keep adjusting the input till it clips- back off a lil.. The same with output on it.

Vids when I can //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

S.B.C.

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
S.B.C.
IL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date