6 1/2 speakers off HU

Participant count
  • Participant list

bigman411
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
MA
If I was going to get speakers to run off the head unit. Do I still need crossovers like a component set. Or would it be pointless because I dont have a 4 channel amp, so it doesnt matter. Can I just get speakers because the rear ones already have crossovers and they are kicker. What are some good cheap 6 1/2 speakers to just run off the head unit. I just want sound, I have nothing in the front atm.

are you talking about components or full range speakers???

if your talking about comps yes you will need a crossover which will more than likely come with the set and IMO i wouldnt run components off of a h/u unless your planning on upgrading to an external amp, you just wouldnt get the sound out of them that there capable of... they'd be power hungry

but if your talking about full range speakers you dont need a crossover for em... and alot of ppl run them off the h/u because they dont necessarly need an external amp to get kinda loud sound outa em " but it does make a big difference if ya amp em"

and as for some good cheap ones, pioneer is the best way to go on cheap reliable decent sounding full range speakers... they dont need much power to achieve sound

are you talking about components or full range speakers???
if your talking about comps yes you will need a crossover which will more than likely come with the set and IMO i wouldnt run components off of a h/u unless your planning on upgrading to an external amp, you just wouldnt get the sound out of them that there capable of... they'd be power hungry

but if your talking about full range speakers you dont need a crossover for em... and alot of ppl run them off the h/u because they dont necessarly need an external amp to get kinda loud sound outa em " but it does make a big difference if ya amp em"

and as for some good cheap ones, pioneer is the best way to go on cheap reliable decent sounding full range speakers... they dont need much power to achieve sound
I know what your talking about. See I have been there, lol i went from boston acoustic z6's with jl 450/4 and 13w7 on jl 1000. Im selling my whole system and just getting cheap basic stuff now. So I guess full range speakers is the way to go. The funny thing is I have kicker resolutions rs5's, but 1 of the drivers is blown. So im trying to find a place that will sell me just 1 kicker driver or can I mix and match? Also Do i need to get 6 1/2's or would 5 1/4 be fine? How much rms wattage should I look for on the speaker if im running off the HU. Headunit does like 20rms x4.

i wouldnt recommend mix and match on speakers... they wouldnt have the same sound at the frequencies, i mean u could tweak on em all day and still not achieve the same notes, they would react different to the different frequincies you adjust on your h/u also ........ if i was u i'd just get a set of pioneer 6.5 2-ways for the money budget and like i said, they do decent off the h/u's power

but for finding one kicker driver, one of my buddies blew a kicker tweeter on his comp set... we looked forever to find one tweet and never could, even on ebay there like 75 bucks a set for the kicker tweeters alone, and thats wat he paid for the comps lol

I actually found someone that will sell just 1 kicker driver. So basically its like $43 for 1 speaker. I guess i can live with that and put back in my component set to just run off the head unit. It will never reach 90rms but oh well.

u really lucked out man, congrats... so that settles all your front stage //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.