500/1 into 12W7...amp problems?

j.money
10+ year member

so cal
no response from the sub unless i have volume up to 15.

if it's music that doesn't have a lot of sub bass, i have to turn it up even louder. 17.

is this normal?

i'm not sure if it's a defective amp or if it has something to do with not enough power going into the 12w7 at lower listening volumes or something...

i've heard a 12W7 running off a 500/1 before, and it was **** loud, there must be something wrong with the amp/sub.

gains set right? is the sub wired properly? i really can't think of what the problem might be, sorry.

yeh, something is set wrong.. check ALL settings, those JL amps have more than usual if i remember right.. check crossover setting and freq., gain setting (know what is a proper setting before trying to re-set it), bass boost, and everything else. After the amp, check your head unit settings.. for some reason all your bass settings could be down.. or you simply need to turn them up.. Try all that and get back to us..

had some time yesterday...checked all connections, crossovers, settings, gains...everything. all good.

everything is fine at volumes louder than what i normally listen to. i'm guessing it's the amp. maybe i'll call jl next week for their input.

go on the jl site and download the manual and check the gain cause i had the 500/1 and a 12w7 for my last system and the gains are very touchy if it is set to high ur sub will get cranky

What kinda box is the sub in ? 500 watts is not really alot for that sub . You may need a bigger amp . I had a 500/1 on my 2 Idq's and my little arc audio rated at 385 watts is much clearer and louder than the 500/1 was . If your running the w7 oin a sealed box you may want to consider a bigger amp or ported box if yo want it louder . Which way is the sub facing ? maybe try turning it around ?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.