5 x7 / 6 x 8 help!

Participant count
  • Participant list

blnk64
10+ year member

I recently posted about installing a 2 way 6.5 set of coxials for my front stage. Turns out I need 6x8 or 5x7 to fit my doors tho. I know I can find brackets to fit 6.5s into these spaces but if i wanted to stick with the 5x8s what brands should I be looking at? Btw i dont think i have enough room to cut space for a 6x9. Morel, cdt, focal, etc dont carry any 6x8s. Brands I have found that do are:

JBL

JL c5-570

Kicker

Alpine

Infinity

Boston Acoustics sr 80

I'm sure i missed a few but any thoughts on what i listed. I'm willing to spend 200 to 350 for the pair.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're looking at component speakers that fit oval holes, then your selection is very limited. Infinity and JBL (same company) make oval speakers in components form, but based on most reviews, they're pretty average speakers with tweeters having a reputation for being harsh. If you want to buy more expensive speakers, consider JL Audio C5 or Image Dynamics XS. Both have good reviews. That's pretty much it. If I was buying right now, I'd get the same I have right now (Hybrid Audio Imagine running active) with an adapter or perhaps something made by Hertz or Focal.

If you're looking at coaxial speakers, then there will be a bit more choices.

Thank you for the input but i have a few more questions

1. How does sq and spl compare for a 5x7 compared to a 6.5 of equal caliber?

2. And lastly any more input on JL c5 series? If I go with a 5x7 JL has one of the few upper end 5x7s I could choose from.

Thank you for the input but i have a few more questions1. How does sq and spl compare for a 5x7 compared to a 6.5 of equal caliber?
There is probably little inherently bad with the speaker being oval. The issue is that your selection is very limited. Look at truly high end brands like Morel, HAT, Hertz, Focal, and many others. If you want to use their speakers (perhaps with the exception of one or two lowest end models) you have to buy round woofer.

2. And lastly any more input on JL c5 series?
I never heard them, but someone compared their sound to Hybrid Audio Imagine. If that comparison is valid, they should be decent speakers.

Ok thank you. Looks like I'm gonna have to go with a 6.5. I'm thinking focal polyglass with a mount to fit properly. I've ears good things about them

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.