5 Farad cap, lights still dim

RoxJu2
10+ year member

I have a 5 farad alumna-pro capacitor with orion 8002 and 8004 amps running 400x2@2ohm and 100x4@4ohm respectively. I just recently got a new alternator(although it is just a regular stock one) and my light still dim if I have the sound up too high. Is there anything else I might be able to do besides a new alternator, and if not can anyone recommend a good one that is under $300.

what kind of car do u have? I mean thats around 1200 rms that shouldnt be doing that much damage. Also if u add an Capacitor that will actually add some more stress if ur alt isnt keeping up. What happens is that now the alt has to charge the car batt and the cap causing more stress. It is also just kind of a temporary band aid thing. 300 is perfect for a new alt in my oppinion. I bet if u would just get the money u paid for that cap and the 300 that you are willing to spend u would end up with a 250+amp alt which is a lot.

You can find some very nice alternators in the $200 range, 160 amps would power that very nicely. 200 would be room to grow.

First things first. Hit the big 3. Big 3 is:

1. battery negative to chassis

2. battery positive to alternator

3. alternator negative (usually case) to chassis

In 4 guage wire or lower.

DO NOT PULL OUT ANY WIRES, JUST ADD NEW WIRES ON TOP OF STOCK ONES.

This will reduce the resistance between your charging system, the battery, and your equipment. Sometimes the change is hardly noticable, sometimes it´s very noticable. The big thing being, there WILL be an improvement. You can usually do this with around $30 in wire and terminals, and it´s proven to help reduce dimming lights and extend the life of your alternator, and maybe your battery.

I´m not going to remark on the capacitors. If they do it for ya, keep ´em. Hit the big 3 first off, if you get a new alternator, you´ll need it anyway.

Well I have all of this installed at a shop locally.

Would they have already done the big 3?

Or is there some regulation that they arent allowed to do it (like for dvd players they have to wire it to your parking brake)

I will also need some websites for the alternator.

Its a 95 Sunfire 2.4L

Also one of my headlights went out tonight? could it be related.

Entire system is

Eclipse CD5444

Infinity 462.5cfp 2way plates

Infinity 693.5i 6x9 3way

Orion 8004

x2 Infinity 10.1D

Orion 8002

Alumna-pro 5 farad carbon alloy Cap

The power wire used was 2 gauge by the shop.

I recently purchased a new alternator after my old one went out not more than 4 months ago.

I have not upgraded the battery in any way.

If I am having any work done on it My install has a lifetime gaurantee so should I take it to my car audio shop and have them check it out or will it be a waste of time?

look under the hood and see if they put another ground wire coming off of your battery, It should be the same guage as your power wire to the chassis.

My battery has 2 things hooked up to the positive side. One appears the wrap around the back of my engine compartment, near the firewall, and turn up by the alternator. the other connects to this huge rockford fosgate thing on top of my battery, which then im pretty sure goes through the back to power my amp.

http://www.overgrow.com/edge/gallery/718014/Above-Alt.jpg

http://www.overgrow.com/edge/gallery/718014/BatTop.jpg

http://www.overgrow.com/edge/gallery/718014/SidePos.jpg

http://www.overgrow.com/edge/gallery/718014/PosNNeg.jpg

Look at the negative terminal on your battery, did they install another ground wire (same size as your power wire)???

It looks like a no, Scott. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

My negative terminal has nothing additional since I have purchased the car.

So Am i correct in assuming All I need is some 2gauge running from the neg term on battery to my chassis? Or should I just go to the shop tomorrow and ask them what the have done? hehe

It looks like a no, Scott. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
My negative terminal has nothing additional since I have purchased the car.

So Am i correct in assuming All I need is some 2gauge running from the neg term on battery to my chassis?
Whos scott? anyways yes thats what id do, who installed it?? Should always upgrade the ground wires. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Tell the installer you want him to do it for free since you paid for your install to be done and he didnt finish it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif I hate that.

I had it done at Custom Sounds in Fairview Heights, IL

I was watching Austin Powers when i was posting sorry thats where Scott came from(dr. evil's son)

Electricity is an algebra equation, what is done to one side must be done to the other. An amp cannot make power unless it gets power. Go to http://www.the12volt.com in the car audio forum and read the grounding stickies. Then post questions here to be answered (or there) and take the info into the dealer with you to have the issues resolved. Do not expect it to be free by any means. You are doing a further upgrade that uses more parts / labour.

Yes I know it wont be free. The 2 gauge they charge $5 per foot. My alternator and battery both work fine they were tested today.

So first off, I should get them to do the big 3 on my car at the dealer.

Then if I am still having problems should I get a new battery or a stronger alternator first? or both?

Edit: I talked to a mechanic today and They said I probably need a new alternator. I will get the big 3 done tomorrow(if the shop has any open time to work on it) and then if I am still having problems I need a website for a good 160-200amp alternator please.

Thanks so far to anyone who has helped out on this thread.

It's pretty easy to ground a wire, as long as you can find a screw that connects to your frame. The problem with your 5 Caps may be that they are all discharging too quick. I have a problem with lights dimming in my explorer, but I'm fixing it by getting a batcap, which is more like a small battery.

Yes I know it wont be free. The 2 gauge they charge $5 per foot. My alternator and battery both work fine they were tested today.
So first off, I should get them to do the big 3 on my car at the dealer.

Then if I am still having problems should I get a new battery or a stronger alternator first? or both?

Edit: I talked to a mechanic today and They said I probably need a new alternator. I will get the big 3 done tomorrow(if the shop has any open time to work on it) and then if I am still having problems I need a website for a good 160-200amp alternator please.

Thanks so far to anyone who has helped out on this thread.

Search for ohio generator, iraggi alternators, ho alternators. Very good alts. Iraggi should be cheaper. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.