5 channel amps?

winkychevelle
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
why doesn't anyone use 5 channel amps? do they get hot and burn quick or is it the limited power on the sub channels? i was just wondering because i was looking into a few five channels like the

jl hd900/5

polk audio pa1100.5

is there some reason i should just go and buy a seperate 4 channel and monoblock or will a five channel be good enough for a daily driver. i am a sound quality guy.

I used a Rockford Fosgate 25 to Life Power 1000 in my Mustang for 9 months. The only reason I ditched it was due to its mammoth size. I ended up giving it to a friend of mine to use in his 350z.

ETA: Wow, still had the birth sheet on my photobucket account.

Power_1000_Birth_Sheett.jpg

I've been running a Hertz 5 channel for a few months with no problems. I did have to install a fan to prevent it from entering protection mode. It is mounted in the trunk, which is hotter than the cabin.

No reason not to use a five channel. Less wiring makes for a clean simple install. I use a PPI PC PRO650 that has plenty of power for my needs in a regular cab truck.

those specs for the rockford look insane.

I have a 4 channel cadence txa-6004 and use the first two channels for my components and the last two in bridged so it puts out 600 watts at 4 ohms for the sub. The components and sub are at 4 ohms so this baby does not get too hot.

It definately does the job and is less than 200 bucks with warranty out there.

that is an option if you decide to not have rear fill.

they can be really good for splitting left and right in an SQ active 4 way. Use one for each channel, bridge the fronts for tweets, bridge the rears for mids and use the sub channel for the midbass. Something like the JL 900.5 or the equivalent alpine pdx would be awesome for this. You will of course need a sub amp too. This arrangement will yield channel seperation only set by the processor or headunit upstream, which are normally higher than the amps.

Ive been using an Eclipse XA5000 for a few months and it has treated me well....

It is forsale btw...link in my sig

I would look into the Memphis Big Belle 5 channel if you want big power at the sub channel, it puts out 1100 rms at the sub channel alone.

i really appreciate all the input, do they still make that model rockford just curious?
Sadly, they stopped production on the Power 1000. It is a good amp and I purchased it on closeout for $425 shipped in June 2008. The only downside is that it was HUGE and the dimensions posted by the seller were WRONG.

Depending on your power needs, you could look into the Alpine PDX-5 or the

Memphis HYBRID MClass Amplifier 16-MC5.1400. Then again, that 5 channel Polk amplifier is the best value out of what is currently available and I was told it is a solid amplifier for the price.

kicker ZX700.5 5 channel is pretty good as well. Oddly enough I have a friend who runs an entire polk momo system (components and subs) in his extended cab truck off the kicker amp LOL

I have a nice class AB pure SQ original Memphis Belle...you can bridge the rear ch's for some amazing class ab sound on your subs in a 5ch configuration.......not the crappy class D sound...common in most 5chs...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.