4x6s and 6x9s off a HU amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Gibson1357

NY
Hey guys, I want to get a new HU and speakers for my car, just looking for acceptable sound here, nothing crazy. I'm planning on using these speakers below, but undecided on the HU. Would a 22 watt HU be enough to power these?
Kicker 40CS464 4"x6" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

Kicker 41DSC6934 6"x9" 3-way speakers at Crutchfield.com

I want to avoid an amp due to the extra wiring involved, I just want to drop in the HU and speakers and be done.
http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-Electronics-XC1410-4-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00B43LKV0

Just need a run of 12 gauge to the battery and one to ground, no other wiring needed. Speaker level inputs and outputs. It'll make those kickers sing and bump.

Or your can get this, still need to do the same with the 12 gauge to battery and back if you want the extra power but the head unit itself has a built in amp

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_92652_Sony-MEX-XB100BT.html

BTW most head units only produce 8-12 watts of actual RMS per channel not the 22 that they claim. Stock head units are like around 3-5 rms.

Amazon.com: Clarion Mobile Electronics XC1410 D-Class 4-Channel Amplifier: Car Electronics
Just need a run of 12 gauge to the battery and one to ground, no other wiring needed. Speaker level inputs and outputs. It'll make those kickers sing and bump.

Or your can get this, still need to do the same with the 12 gauge to battery and back if you want the extra power but it comes with the head unit

Sony MEX-XB100BT Hi-Power SiriusXM Ready Bluetooth Car Stereo with 160W RMS built-in 4-channel Amplifier!
i have one of those amps Jeff...nice clean budget power

Hey guys, I want to get a new HU and speakers for my car, just looking for acceptable sound here, nothing crazy. I'm planning on using these speakers below, but undecided on the HU. Would a 22 watt HU be enough to power these?
Kicker 40CS464 4"x6" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

Kicker 41DSC6934 6"x9" 3-way speakers at Crutchfield.com

I want to avoid an amp due to the extra wiring involved, I just want to drop in the HU and speakers and be done.
Glad you decided not to try to run a sub off your rear speaker outputs off your head unit.... Your learning already bra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you decided not to try to run a sub off your rear speaker outputs off your head unit.... Your learning already bra

Some of the early Pioneer decks had a feature called FIE (front image enhancer ) that made a set of 6x9 subs in a back deck sound pretty good....also some of the Pioneer decks rear power was bridgeable for sub duties to a small low powered sub....

Some of the early Pioneer decks had a feature called FIE (front image enhancer ) that made a set of 6x9 subs in a back deck sound pretty good....also some of the Pioneer decks rear power was bridgeable for sub duties to a small low powered sub....
Cool to know... Cell phones used to be the size of cinder blocks... Both facts as interesting as the are.... Completely irrelevant in today's world lol...

that sony head unit actually had a button that tries to turn the rear speakers for sub duty.

that sony head unit actually had a button that tries to turn the rear speakers for sub duty.
GTFO here lol keyword tries... I cannot imagine the quality you could possibly get with only front speakers and any potential sub running off headunit power lol

GTFO here lol keyword tries... I cannot imagine the quality you could possibly get with only front speakers and any potential sub running off headunit power lol

Its like having a little 4 inch midbass sub lol... Plus that head unit's internal amp is 40 watts rms amp dyno'd

http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-Electronics-XC1410-4-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00B43LKV0

Or your can get this, still need to do the same with the 12 gauge to battery and back if you want the extra power but the head unit itself has a built in amp

Sony MEX-XB100BT Hi-Power SiriusXM Ready Bluetooth Car Stereo with 160W RMS built-in 4-channel Amplifier!

BTW most head units only produce 8-12 watts of actual RMS per channel not the 22 that they claim. Stock head units are like around 3-5 rms.
I was under the impression that an amp required running new wire for the speakers.. It's really just a matter of plugging the old wires into the amp is if it were a HU, then adding connections to the battery and HU?

Also, if I'm not going to be turning up the volume too loud, is it even worth it?

I was under the impression that an amp required running new wire for the speakers.. It's really just a matter of plugging the old wires into the amp is if it were a HU, then adding connections to the battery and HU?
Also, if I'm not going to be turning up the volume too loud, is it even worth it?
It may be simpler getting that Sony deck with built in amp...less wiring

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.