4th Order Design Help

Participant count
  • Participant list

GearGuy2001
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Im going to be doing my first 4th order bandpass shortly (yay)

I have a sundown 2000d on the way and for subs Im thinking 2 Sundown SA-10s

I only have room for 2 10s but Im open to suggestions

From watching videos I was thinking about doing the same specs as Shiznilti did for his, which are 2.3 Cubes Ported, 1.6 Cubes Sealed and Tuned to 46Hz

I want it to be low but also handle a good range for a subwoofer (not super peaky) whats important about those specs (the ratio between sealed and ported) or should I do something slightly different.

Also I have a 6" Aero Port that Ill be using to fire it through my rear deck.

I'm not a box guru, but have a basic idea of how these work. The volume doesn't sound bad, but with tuning at 46hz, you're going to have almost no ouput @ 55hz and above. Bandpass boxes filter output above the tuning point in the same way a traditionally-ported box filters output below the the tuning point; someone more experienced here can tell you why. It's not AS noticeable in a regular ported box because there's a lot of cabin gain below the tuning point of most boxes in most vehicles. However, there's very little cabin gain above 50hz in almost all vehicles. So with this box you're going to have almost no output above 55hz and a ton of output from probably 50 hz down. Again, I'm not an expert; just telling you how I understand the design. If I've given any bad information, I hope someone will point that out.

I'm also thinking about putting a 4th order in my vehicle with two HDC310's, but I've heard they're very difficult to get right. Hope everything works out for ya.

Thanks for the input, I would like for the box to be good all around so Im doing some more research before I start cutting. Not sure how the HDC3's would do since Ive heard in order to have a good sub for bandpass it needs to do well sealed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.