4ohm dvc vs 2ohm dvc

Participant count
  • Participant list

GneticSuprFreak

CarAudio.com Newbie
I am looking to add 2 12" speakers 

I was planning on running 2 4ohm dvc to a final 1ohm load

I am seeing posts saying 4ohm voice coils run hotter than 2?

Please explain the differences as I can still get 2 2ohm dvc and run a 2ohm final load if it is of any benefit doing so

Thank you 

@GneticSuprFreak

Why do you think dual 4 ohm coils get hotter than dual 2 ohm coils?  Only because someone posted that they do?

Sorry I did not mean to sound like a jerk, I just never read posts like that yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
My only real concern was trying to run this setup on stock charging system 

220A factory alternator with AGM battery. Not looking to go past 1,500 watts rms so I figured it should be ok

220A factory alternator with AGM battery. Not looking to go past 1,500 watts rms so I figured it should be ok
If you use good wiring to the amp and a good ground with proper fusing I would say for a 1500 watt amp you should be ok. But like mentioned it depends on the type of amp and subs. 

I ran a 1200.1 kicker on a stock alternator and front AGM 75ah for a while before adding a rear second AGM and did fine for what I wanted at the time. It was two Alpine Type R the SWR-12 series.

You should be ok with that power/alternator combo. I run about the same power with a 100 amp alternator and AGM. Aslo, the only thing that might run hotter is the amplifier itself on the lower 1 ohm load vs 2 or 4. The efficiency of the amplifier will go down and the current draw will go up with the lower impedance load so something to consider when planning. Ultimately though the power you need for the subs should be the final consideration in choosing the final impedance load. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.