400 volt car audio system, your thoughts ?

"new batteries" from new model, crashed Nissan Leafs
I have also seen this. I believe a lot of the cells some folks are getting for DIY audio banks have been salvaged from wrecked EVs and hybrids. Not sure how far I'd trust them if I didn't personally know the guy in the bone-yard who was pulling them. Then again, if the price is low enough they may be worth a gamble.

Here's one for a Prius. Less than $2K.
Zero specs as far as c rating, voltage, discharge graphs, or capacity. Probably fine if you wanted to replace your clown car battery but I'd throw 2 grand into cells and DIY a bank and probably wind up better off.

Has anyone looked into the cost effectiveness of making your own battery packs using single 18650 or 26650 lithium’s wired together in series/parallel configuration?
Yes. Max C rating of 3 and cycle life rating at 0.2C makes them very poor choice for what we are doing. Also affixing several hundred of those to a busing system that will carry the sort of current we need to high powered car audio would be a big challenge. I would be wary of anything which doesn't have threads or bolts for attaching some beefy bus bars with the possible exception of the tab style terminals on some of the pouch style cells for which I think you could rig up some decent DIY options if you had some metalworking tools.

So I just got off the phone with the place I got my alternator from, and I think the guy had some pretty good advice. First off, because I did the Big 3 SO freaking long ago (13 yrs) he suggested that I check all of those connections and make sure everything was solid (honestly, I think my mechanic already has... but anyway) and here's the big one.... That little lightweight plug that clips into the alternator.... Mine is 13 yo. He said those can wear out and get loose with time. Easy, and cheap to replace. Think I'm going to try this soon, as see if that helps....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...