4 Subwoofer Option

Participant count
  • Participant list

Numonet86
10+ year member

I'm brand new to this thing so be patient...my car came with a 2 sub rack behind the back seats (not a hatch), and 2 subs in the trunk (enclosure needed). I'm trying to figure out how to configure this for my future set up. First off...are 4 subs even reasonable? I mainly listen to Hip Hop so I won't mind the extra bass...second question: Should I get identical sized subs, or should I mix them up a little, considering one is going to be directly behind the passengers pointing up, and the others are going to be enclosed in the trunk. Don't know if it scientifically matters but...I would like the get the best possible sounding bass if I do keep all 4. Any help is appreciated.

first of we need more info,
what kind of subs,

what kind of car

what exactly are you talking about when you say behind the back seat but not in the trunk

what is your budget

what are your goals.
all of this^^^ considered...

all the subs you use need to be IDENTICAL. Coils impedance and # of (d2, d4, s3, s4), size, brand, model etc.

all of the subs should be in the same compartment of the vehicle, otherwise cancellation can be a factor and make your ish sound like ish.

Appreciate it...Pheonix Risen: '76 Corolla, don't have the car on me atm so I can't tell you the type of subs, but off my head I think they were 12", could have been 10". Behind the back seat...don't know the correct term for it but the type of setup you would have to get the horn effect, pointing up (except mine isn't a hatchback). My budget, money isn't the issue, although I don't really need competition grade, I'm happy with high end. My overall goal? Is to get the best possible bass for my wide collection of hip hop. The reason I'm sure many of you are on the site, there's no greater joy for me riding than being smoked out listening to music. I'd rather my car run like **** if the audio was on point (the run like **** part isn't my goal though just saying).

Worstenemy454: Sounds like solid advice. Is there any way to calculate for cancellation, or is it just something that automatically comes with having your subs in different compartments?

if you want some good solid bass, the best thing you could do is sell the stuff you have, get 2 sa-10s or sa-12 from sundown, put about 1k each to them with a nice class d amp, get a good set of comps for the front some midbass drivers for rear fill and put them on a nice 4 chan

with that of course will have to come the big 3 and power wire in 1/0 and a second battery if not a h/o alt. good solid car audio is not cheep, but to do it right the first time will save you a lot of money in the long run.

if you want some good solid bass, the best thing you could do is sell the stuff you have, get 2 sa-10s or sa-12 from sundown, put about 1k each to them with a nice class d amp, get a good set of comps for the front some midbass drivers for rear fill and put them on a nice 4 chan
with that of course will have to come the big 3 and power wire in 1/0 and a second battery if not a h/o alt. good solid car audio is not cheep, but to do it right the first time will save you a lot of money in the long run.
Right around there, you don't need 4 to get the bass you want.

I was thinking something similar, only difference was I was considering putting the mid-bass up front w/ the comps and put a couple of high end coaxials in the rear (for the back passengers listening pleasure)...good idea? Bad idea?

Appreciate it...Pheonix Risen: '76 Corolla
Nice car. dont see many of those.

Worstenemy454: Sounds like solid advice. Is there any way to calculate for cancellation, or is it just something that automatically comes with having your subs in different compartments?
im sure theres a calc for it, but its beyond me lol. the possibility arises when you do things like that. other things cause it too.

I guess all this discussion has come down to one final question...should I put 2 subs in the trunk, or behind the back seat? I guess playing around with them may be the only way to find out, but is there a general rule to this? For those of you who don't know already the type of car I have is pretty small, so I don't even know if it'll be a factor...appreciate the help already guys

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.