4 ohm Type S to a mono amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

ItsGregFoo

I recently ordered a 4ohm 12" Alpine type s subwoofer, it is rated at 300rms watts. Along with it I ordered an Orion Cobalt mono amp rated at 300rms watts at 4ohms and 400rms watts at 2ohms. All the wiring diagrams of a mono amp hooked up to a dual core 4ohm subwoofer show the amp being wired for 2ohms which for me is more watts than my sub is supposed to be taking. Is it possible to wire with the amp at 4ohms? if not will my sub be damaged by receiving 400rms watts?

Honestly, your sub is likely fine on 400, but just slightly tune back the gain...otherwise your only option is an 8ohm load which on that amp is probley like 150-200rms

And so you know, you gain adjust the gain output to a desired level by setting it with a dmm (there is a sticky on this site)..just cause its 400@2, doesnt mean you have to use that 400...and if its the newest of the Orion stuff, i doubt it actually does rated anyway

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.