4 Ga. Vs 8 Ga. Question

XplodX
10+ year member

Sorry to post this again but I really need to know if hooking up a 8 guage connection kit to my Xplod ES XM-6001GXD which says it needs a 4 gauge kit will hurt my amp? I dont care if it ruins my cables or anything just if it will hurt my amp or speakers or whatever

thanx alot guys

give it a try, I dont think it will hurt it any it just wont be getting the current it needs

_This is XplodX_

dam this ***** some people say it will hurt and others say it wont, ill thake the word of the senior VIP member and wait I guess! ITs so hard I think about at least every 10 minutes, its driving me crazy! this is lame now I have to wait even longer to get my system running arrrrg!

Ohm's LAW power=current x voltage wire carries this if you lose current or voltage you are defeating the purpose of even having an amp..plus on transients the amp will want power and if it "pukes" its hard on the amp and speakers

Think about it like this.. It's like the difference between the straws you get from McDonalds and a coffee straw. It takes more effort to get the same amount out of the coffee straw..The difference is that with smaller wire you will still get the poer but it ups the amperage draw effectively making your alternator work harder, sometimes requires the use of larger fuses and can be a fire hazard because the wire may get hot and have a melt down.. Bigger is better. Bigger will allow for stereo expansion in the future without the extra hassle of running new wire. A little more money now can save you a lot a time and money later..

Mike

A 1000 watt class D amp can draw over 80 amps when driven to full power. An 8 gage wire should be fused no higher than 40 amps.

So if you're running speakers configured for 1 ohm and you want that 1000 watts, you'd damm well better have 4 gage cables. If you're only running into a single 4 ohm speaker (300 watts or so) you might get by with 8 gage.

RTFM!

_This Is XplodX_

Sorry I went against you guys and hooked it up beacsue my electronics teacher (who used to be into high power stereos) told me it would be ok until I got my new wires

and it hits super hard! I love it so much and it scares me to think how much better it will be when i get new wires. I have a 65 amp fuse on my power cable and the wires arnt even getting hot, nor is the amp

I would just now like to dis everyone who hates on Xplod because they dont know Sh_t cause they have never heard this Xplod System, as we speak it is putting all my fiends systems to shame!

cant wait for my 4 gauge //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thats kool **** i knew you would like it alot dawg.I use a 60 amp fuse and it won't blow so...How do the sony subs sound and is your box sealed?Sony makes nice stuff at a good price and its fun to see peoples faces when they see what sony **** can do.Just for fun you should check your db's with the 8 guage and see what kind of db gain you get with 4 guage when you get it.

Hey KIddo,

Just think of if you tried to beath normal or through a straw. It's a well-worth investment to have less worries and the real boom that you are looking for in your system.The smaller wire will only supply part of the current that bad boy needs. It is impossible to be a fire hazard. Just spend the money and it'll pay off in the long run. Otherwise, you will be making your whole system work harder and you may cause damage from the strain on it.Take care and good luck!!!!!!

Am I correct in assuming...

You're running the amp @ 1 ohm

and

Your power wire is 12-15 feet long

??

If so, I REALLY hope you have a 60 amp fuse at your battery, if not, I would imagine you're running a pretty good risk of having a car fire.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.