350Z door speaker solution.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Z1NONLY
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So I found out how much power it takes to blow the stock door speakers on a 350Z. (Non-Bose system)

I was using a 1kHz 0db test tone to set my 300/2. My target was 80w/side (40/speaker). just as I got to my target the passenger door speaker went.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif Ironically, the magnet on the deceased unit says "40 watts max" in plain English right there on the magnet. They weren't bluffing.

I really want to listen to some different comps before I get a set, so I just dug out a set of Kicker KS5250's that have been gathering dust for a few years and proceeded to "make it fit."

The Z's window is right behind the speaker mounting point resulting in a PITA mounting depth. Spacers are needed for just about any driver.

I used a 9v battery to figure out which lead was + on the old speaker. Sneaky-Smurf Nissan uses blue for positive. The negative is....red! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

First, I used an exact-o knife to cut the cone out of the basket. Using a rotary cutting tool, I cut the plastic basket away from the trim ring. Then I fabricated a gasket from some window gasket tape. Drilling through the plastic ring to mount the 5.25 was easy. (The plastic was soft enough that it didn't crack, even with some of the wholes close to the edge) Once mounted in the factory trim ring, I just soldered a little jumper from the new speaker to the stock tinsel lead connection points...

Burned VC on stock unit. (Smelled very burnt)

P1090017.jpg

P1090015.jpg

P1090014.jpg

P1090013.jpg

P1090019.jpg

All in all, cannibalizing the stock speakers yielded some good spacers with a perfect seal to the door.

Thanks. They sound better than I expected. The response curve has a few lumps, but they sound much better than stock. They should get me by for a while.

yeah the stock speaker ****. Good job. Theres also something else you can try, as you know the speaker cover is basically covering 50% of the speaker. You can cut it in cross or in a peace sign like a those old 3 star rims and cover it with a stocking like material, looks very clean. Increases output dramatically

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.