$350ish HU - comparing pioneer, eclipse and alpine

rizorith
10+ year member

I'm going to be purchasing a HU in the 300 to 350ish range in the next month or so. I'm specifically looking at the alpine 9833, Eclipse 5444 and pioneer 8600 (or maybe 860).

The Eclipse sounds the best as far as sq goes but my main problem is the MP3 usability. I will mostly be playing MP3 cd's and the navigation isn't so hot I'm told. It's very important to me that when I scroll through songs I see the song name and pretty quickly. I'm told the Alpine and Pioneer do this. Does anyone know for sure how the eclipse operates?

Also - any pros/cons to each model? I'm most concerned with SQ, ability to play mp3s easily and easy navigation.

I also want to consider throwing in the Eclipse 3434 and save some money but the 2.7V preamp is a problem. Won't it sound worse than the alpine or pioneers which have 4.0v? Is it worth upgrading to the pioneer 860 (has 5.5v instead of 4.0 I believe)?

Lastly, does anyone know when these companies are coming out with new models? I have about a month until my upgrade so I can hold out for a while.

oh just to give you an idea of my system (which isn't all that impressive):

Alpine mrvf353 amp

BA componenets rc41

BA RX47 in rear

(will be adding sub with the new head unit, maybe JBL 10W0 or Alpine type r)

all run off of amp.

I would take a 2.7V Eclipse over many "4V" decks. I bet you will have zero noise issues with a 2.7V eclipse and if that is the case....you would be just fine.

I have used most major brands(alpine, clarion, pioneer, kenwood, and 4 Eclipse models). Until I purchased the RF 8250, Eclipse had been the best sounding decks I had used. I have not messed around with the mp3 stuff on the 5444. I say go check it out at the dealer(no online sales of eclipse stuff), and see what you think.

Get the 860MP...6.5v preouts....and in general an AMAZING hu. Burr Brown DACs, 13band graph EQ, color OEL....plus a crap load of other features. Super excellent deck.

SONY XPLOD CDX-M9900 was a model I was just looking at before I saw this thread...You know anything about this one?
leave sony alone unless it is the old stuff. THe only thing sony has good now is the g-protection.

Get the Alpine man... I've messed with the headunits that you mentioned. All of which are nice, and I'm sure that you'll like them all, but I personally like the Alpine. I'd spend more and get the 9835 though. It's a NICER unit aesthetically over the 9833, and it has a couple more features that are better. You will not be disappointed if you get the Alpine, and I mean that... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif

has anyone used any of these HU's to play mp3 cds? I checked all of them out at the store and one thing I couldn't get them to do is show the id tags of the songs if they were longer than say 16 characters.

Most portable mp3 players will scroll or show up to 64 characters. It's pretty annoying and I was wondering if maybe there is an option or something I couldn't figure out while using them. Basically this is a sticking point for me. If all else is equal I'll probably go with the Eclipse.

ive used all three, and id say go with the eclipse. you wont be disappointed. check on ebay, you'll probably be able to find a brand new one for considerably less than youd pay retail.

ive used all three, and id say go with the eclipse. you wont be disappointed. check on ebay, you'll probably be able to find a brand new one for considerably less than youd pay retail.
yea definatly look on ebay...i dont consider headunits as being an item that a warrenty is a necisity(god i **** at spelling)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.