350-400W mono amp, cheap?

poipoipoi

la
I need an amp to drive an ED e12.4k, would I be shooting myself in the foot by buying a really cheap amp? Any recommendations for a around 100$ amp... or should I be spending more just to get to a minimum level of quality?

Look on ebay for a d-class MTX or a fosgate 200ix. Theres lots of good cheap amps out there.

Now that I think about it you could probally get a old school Us Amp off ebay for a little over 100 and it would do the job, I assure you. I had a us150 and it slammed the hell out of everything i hooked up to it.

in the sound industry the more money you put in the better the quality will be. in your case i would stick with rf. for about 300 you can get a rf amp that pumps 425 watts a channel @ 2 ohms. its 300 bux but in the long run its alot cheaper then other amps that supply the same power if you're interested this is the link

Rockford Fosgate 851s

im going to eventually buy that to power my type r's for my future system. you can probably get cheaper with other amps but the signal quality and power output may be less and with that outcome the quality of your sound will be worse, the choice is up to you

in the sound industry the more money you put in the better the quality will be. in your case i would stick with rf. for about 300 you can get a rf amp that pumps 425 watts a channel @ 2 ohms. its 300 bux but in the long run its alot cheaper then other amps that supply the same power if you're interested this is the link
For $300 dollars you can get alot better quality and gobs more efficient power than with Fosgate. Even with around 150 you can buy used and get atleast 500-600 watts. Look into us amps, mmats, orion, ect.

Theres nothing wrong with profile amps, and they are priced right. Spending 300 bucks for 400 watts is absolutely retarded, especially if you are only getting an RF.

dude its 425 watts a channel and its 2 channel and thats @ 2 ohmsin my opinion you get what you pay for, and honestly most people would say that jl is the best are you retarded for paying 800-900 dollars for a 1000 watt amp, i think not. The amp i am talking about is also an underrated amp. but then again we all have our own preferences to what sq we think is best and this mine. Many people think that the subwoofer is what creates the best sound. if you thinkt hat you are totally wrong. I heard a song explod and a jl amp, the distortion of the xplod was horrible, so like i said the quality of the amp, its compnents, and the reliablibity of the amp is a thing to consider. the choice is up to you, on what quality you want, rf is one of the top brands in quality if not the 3rd best, and i have never heard anything bad about their amps. theiur subs ont he other hand can be very sloppy at times. used amps and refurbished amps are a way to go also, nothign wrong with buying a used amp. in my mind, if it was taken care of and not abused it should about as well as the day you bought it, and its cheaper so i would look for a bargain like that. You can be a used amp rf amp for the price of a new amp from another company with more power, and the sound may not be the same, so once again i impress upon you that its your choice, if you want feel free to IM me on aim SuBZeRo69069 or StealthGlowI30

the choice is up to you, on what quality you want, rf is one of the top brands in quality if not the 3rd best, and i have never heard anything bad about their amps.
That statement right there is absolutely absurd. RF's best stuff is in the above average class - they are nothing more than good amps. I know they have some 2004 stuff that's supposed to be the real deal, but obviously there's not enough of it being used yet to know the real story.

Poi asked for 2 things - CHEAP, and 400w. What do you suggest? Not cheap, and 800w.

Sorry, wrong answer.

Then, after sticking your foot in your mouth you decide to bite off a big ol' chunk with your opinion of RF being among the 3 best amps.

PUH-lease.

Heard of JL? Tru? US Amps? Brax? Arc? Audison? Linear Power? Zapco? Orion? Dei?etc.

For the record Poi - I was going to recommend the Profile too. Very effective amp at a great price. Not sure if you needed 4 ohms or 2, but http://www.thezeb.com has the 2 ch cl600 for $110 shipped and the mono cl600M for $100 shipped.

whatever that is cheap to me and i feel it sounds better then most companies im just willing to pay for quality
Well they are decent quality amps, but SQ isn't necessarily flattering. I ran a friends 2003 Rockford Power amp to my components, and they sounded pretty decent, then hooked up my soundstream reference, there was no comparison, just sounded awesome. Now it is all subjective, but that is just my experience with them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.