33hz ported box

Participant count
  • Participant list
Basically it's the peak. You can still play well below and above that frequency. As long as the box is built correctly. The lower you play under your boxes tuned frequency the more the subwoofer is going to unload. But that is what the subsonic filter is for. To keep from bottoming out your subwoofer and damaging it from playing to low.

Doesn't exactly mean 33hz is going to be the loudest though due to cabin gain and other factors.

I'm not a box expert so maybe @Buck will chime in to explain this better.

If your box is tuned to 33 hz, that means the entire box is resonates or pressurizes the most at 33 hz, not including the cabin gain. Cabin gain can make you peak away from tuning frequency, depending on what it is. There's a certain distance you can play away from tuning frequency. How far away you can play depends on many factors. Generally you can't play as low as you can high away from tuning frequency, because the wavelength of sound gets exponentially longer as you go longer in frequency. Determining exacly how low you can play should be determined during tuning. You could probably easily play into the 60 hz region, maybe even strongly into the 70's, but only play down maybe to the high 20's, or mids 20's if you're really lucky and have good equipment. But there's a lot of factors that determine that, such as box size, port size, the nature of your subs, things like that.

Last edited:
Generally you can play around a half octave below tuning before the driver unloads and you run into trouble. Woofer construction and materials are all variables that will affect this.

Half octave for 33hz is 16.5hz, so half of that difference put you at roughly 25hz.

Last edited:
Basically it's the peak. You can still play well below and above that frequency. As long as the box is built correctly. The lower you play under your boxes tuned frequency the more the subwoofer is going to unload. But that is what the subsonic filter is for. To keep from bottoming out your subwoofer and damaging it from playing to low.

Doesn't exactly mean 33hz is going to be the loudest though due to cabin gain and other factors.

I'm not a box expert so maybe @Buck will chime in to explain this better.

THANK YOU I APPRECIATE YOY BOSS!

If your box is tuned to 33 hz, that means the entire box is resonates or pressurizes the most at 33 hz, not including the cabin gain. Cabin gain can make you peak away from tuning frequency, depending on what it is. There's a certain distance you can play away from tuning frequency. How far away you can play depends on many factors. Generally you can't play as low as you can high away from tuning frequency, because the wavelength of sound get exponentially longer as you go longer in frequency. Determining exacly how low you can play should be determined during tuning. You could probably easily play into the 60 hz region, maybe even strongly into the 70's, but only play down maybe to the high 20's, or mids 20's if you're really lucky and have good equipment. But there's a lot of factors that determine that, such as box size, port size, the nature of your subs, things like that.

Wow I just learned a lot right now lol. THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING. I APPRECIATE IT

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.