3 way with same mid drivers: pros/cons

jake21
10+ year member

Lifted > Lowered
So im planning my next build for my doors in my 98 Dodge Ram.

Here is what im thinking of doing, the shop i work at doesnt sell any "high end SQ speakers" such as ID, Seas, Focal, etc etc. So i will being going with two sets of the Alpine Type R 6 1/2" Components.

Link

My question is, what would the pros/cons be of using two of the same Type R mids in the door and one tweet in the pillar with the mids being crossed over at different frequencies. One mid for the "midbass" and one for the "midrange" then the tweet for the highs of course.

I am aiming for SQ with this build.

I called Alpine in attempt to get the T/S parameters, power handling etc etc. for each individual speaker since the specs online only give the whole setup specs which is 65-27,000 Hz and 110w RMS so that doesn't give me any idea on how low the tweet can play and how high the mids can go...... Calling them was useless to say the least, the only info they had was the info online, "65-27,000 Hz - 110rms" So i guess everything will be trial and error if i go through with this

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

~Jake

Because i get them cheap through the shop i work at. And i know they are straight from Alpine, not an unauthorized internet dealer.

It's a waste. Get drivers made for what you're trying to do. The type R woofer can only play so high, and ideally you want the midrange to play your entire vocal range (roughly 200-5k). 4"ers seem to be the prime size that can extend high enough and provide enough oomf in the lower vocals(midbass will help a little as well).

Crossover points are unsure of right now, being that alpine's specs ****. But i can definately fit an 8" in there, im just not sure if i want to because it will bump me up into another SPL class

^replace the Dayton tweeter with a Morel Tweeter in that setup.

Parts-Express.com:

but the real trick would be isolating the midbass from the midrange.

as to the original question, your idea is flawed. you need separation to play different frequencies, and you also need different drivers. you might as well install both Alpine mids and run them equally.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.