3 vs 1 sub Opinion needed

rccody816

Current set up is two 12's in a Fox Acoustic Box in an 03 dodge ram under the rear seat. Thinking of making a console box with one 12 with double the air space 1.5 at least.

Would it be possible to keep the two under the seat and the new console sub or should I remove the rear seat sub's because they won't sound "right"?

As they sit now they are getting just under 1 cube per sub which is less than they pobably need but still sound good. Would this be an addition by subtraction senerio?

Current set up is two 12's in a Fox Acoustic Box in an 03 dodge ram under the rear seat. Thinking of making a console box with one 12 with double the air space 1.5 at least.
Would it be possible to keep the two under the seat and the new console sub or should I remove the rear seat sub's because they won't sound "right"?

As they sit now they are getting just under 1 cube per sub which is less than they pobably need but still sound good. Would this be an addition by subtraction senerio?
Keeping the under-seat subs along with the new setup would cause problems. Over all to the ear it would likely sound louder, because you have that much more air displacement, but since the subs will be in different sized enclosures they will have a different Q factor, different freq response, and thus the coupled feq response between the two different setups would be erratic and unpredictable. Its a similar situation to trying to run different types or sizes of subs. The only way something like this *might* work effectively is if you used a crossover network that separated the freqs between the two setups, but that would add to the cost and complexity of the system with no obvious benefit, and would potentially still sound worse.

Keeping the under-seat subs along with the new setup would cause problems. Over all to the ear it would likely sound louder, because you have that much more air displacement, but since the subs will be in different sized enclosures they will have a different Q factor, different freq response, and thus the coupled feq response between the two different setups would be erratic and unpredictable. Its a similar situation to trying to run different types or sizes of subs. The only way something like this *might* work effectively is if you used a crossover network that separated the freqs between the two setups, but that would add to the cost and complexity of the system with no obvious benefit, and would potentially still sound worse.
This.

Honestly, I think youd be better off stuffing a nice 12" in your console if your worried about output. Or just upgrade the 12's in there now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.