2nd order Linkwitz-Riley, Butterworth or Bessel crossover

Participant count
  • Participant list

gstokes

FÜKENGRUVEN
Linkwitz-Riley crossovers match attenuation slopes so that system response is flat at crossover point.

Butterworth crossovers yield to a peak at the crossover frequency.

Bessel crossovers have a frequency response between Linkwitz-Riley and Butterworth crossovers.

My question is: How do you determine what type of crossover is needed for a selected driver ?

That's a pretty hard question to answer. You would have to consider the drivers' frequency response and their output at the xover point. Also, you have to consider the aiming of the speakers as on-axis and off-axis yield different results. A good EQ should take care of the problems regardless of the xover type

.. You would have to consider the drivers' frequency response and their output at the xover point .. A good EQ should take care of the problems regardless of the xover type
that's the answer i was seeking, smooth out frequency response with different types of crossover points..

you reminded me that my head unit has built-in Eq, love it when a plan comes together..

BTW, i chose 2nd order Butterworth for the tweeter..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.