2013 Mercedes Benz E63 Illusion, Focal, Mosconi

Love to see such a clean install, Great work. I'm kinda digging the Focals to, if you can Pm me a price on them. I'm needing to buy some for a new build i'm starting soon. Thanks

What is your stance on focal's tweeter lineup if u don't mind me asking? I'm considering the p165v30 for my new build and running them active but everyone is telling me that the tweeters are overly bright. I have a decent dsp deck so I figure I can tame them with some tuning.

Love to see such a clean install, Great work. I'm kinda digging the Focals to, if you can Pm me a price on them. I'm needing to buy some for a new build i'm starting soon. Thanks
PM sent

What is your stance on focal's tweeter lineup if u don't mind me asking? I'm considering the p165v30 for my new build and running them active but everyone is telling me that the tweeters are overly bright. I have a decent dsp deck so I figure I can tame them with some tuning.
Focals being bright is something in all honesty I'm tired of hearing. Whenever I hear that I just say that person has no idea what they are doing when setting up a system. If you tune a system right with them it'll sound great but if you don't the system will be overally bright. I'm not a fan of bright sounding systems and prefer a more natural warm sound and with the right tuning Focals will get you there. You going active will give you unbelievable control of the speakers so you can tune them right where you want them to be. One thing to keep in mind is the break in period, which is about 200 hours will the Focals. They will losen up after that period and have a totally different fuller sound.

i'd say there is about $6k in equipment in the car... and i'd say that install is worth a grand, but i assume less was paid.
You're pretty close with your estimate ;O)

Yea, this build is super clean. I swear my system looks so bad after seeing the detail some of you people give.
Use this as motivation. I tell people the most important part to a system install is forethought. I think the time I take to figure out the wire running is a good amount of the install.

Focals being bright is something in all honesty I'm tired of hearing. Whenever I hear that I just say that person has no idea what they are doing when setting up a system. If you tune a system right with them it'll sound great but if you don't the system will be overally bright. I'm not a fan of bright sounding systems and prefer a more natural warm sound and with the right tuning Focals will get you there. You going active will give you unbelievable control of the speakers so you can tune them right where you want them to be. One thing to keep in mind is the break in period, which is about 200 hours will the Focals. They will losen up after that period and have a totally different fuller sound.
I've noticed this too, and it comes down to install. I'm pretty sure the people that say this just install them, notice they are bright, and don't try to move them around or tweak them in any way. I have never heard focals, so I guess I can't say too much, and they may be bright compared to other comps. But with the amount of options there are between mounting and EQ'ing and so forth, it's hard to believe that someone can't tame them down enough to sound good in any particular install.

I've noticed this too, and it comes down to install. I'm pretty sure the people that say this just install them, notice they are bright, and don't try to move them around or tweak them in any way. I have never heard focals, so I guess I can't say too much, and they may be bright compared to other comps. But with the amount of options there are between mounting and EQ'ing and so forth, it's hard to believe that someone can't tame them down enough to sound good in any particular install.
Yea I figured they could be tamed I just needed to hear that from someone who obviously has plenty experience with them. I've never ran focal so I don't have any personal experience with them and my local shop that carries them doesn't do jobs at nearly as high a caliber as what is shown in this one build log, which is why I do everything myself learning from guys like you @octave and @keephopealive .

[quote name='winkychevelle']Yea I figured they could be tamed I just needed to hear that from someone who obviously has plenty experience with them. I've never ran focal so I don't have any personal experience with them and my local shop that carries them doesn't do jobs at nearly as high a caliber as what is shown in this one build log, which is why I do everything myself learning from guys like you @Octave and @keephopealive .[/QUOTE]

@Octave @keep_hope_alive

in my experience, "bright" tweeters are just suffering from constructive and destructive interference due to aiming/mounting - typically a combination of direct and reflected and diffraction. or they are out of acoustic phase with the midrange... or they were poorly designed.

Focal makes nice speakers. Consider that Wilson Audio uses Focal drivers in their $50,000 Maxx 3's. (which sound amazing)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.