2012 Frame / Cone -- First Built Woofer

sundownz
Pro Seller

Supporting Vendor
North Carolina
Prototype motor paired with new 12" frame, 9.25" spider (what we use on Z v.3 18s now), and the new cone / surround. I literally JUST finished it so I cannot play it until tomorrow. That being said... it won't QUITE be able to use ALL of the clearance we have -- and that is great -- should be INCREDIBLY rugged and hard to damage //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

For those not current on all of these parts -- they are ALL prototype parts. They are not in production yet. Production parts will start appearing 1Q 2013.

CIMG6647.JPG

CIMG6648.JPG

CIMG6649.JPG

CIMG6650.JPG

CIMG6651.JPG

does remind me of a holees, lol. I like the dark rugged look of this a lot more though. Are these surrounds and baskets going to mated to an SA motor too?
We will not offer them on anything less than our upcoming 1kw "X" line

We will not offer them on anything less than our upcoming 1kw "X" line
Lol, the SA's are capable of 1kW sooooooooooo

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

You're in luck though, I've been looking for a 1+ kW 10" for my truck with high excursion to move some more air. Hook me up with a proto brotha!

Nice, looks like it means business!

I was hoping you would be using bubble caps and not those silly concaved deals!

looking good Jacob!

I did get a little too happy with it last night when I first fired it up -- you'll hear a small metallic sound because of some slight damage I did to it then (woops!). Either way I was still able to get a good test out of it for this video and show it in action -- with more testing to come as we get more prototypes together. The good news is I'll be able to make it even tougher on production thanks to my mistake =)

I did get a little too happy with it last night when I first fired it up -- you'll hear a small metallic sound because of some slight damage I did to it then (woops!). Either way I was still able to get a good test out of it for this video and show it in action -- with more testing to come as we get more prototypes together. The good news is I'll be able to make it even tougher on production thanks to my mistake =)

I am kicking myself a bit for getting crazy last night with it, haha... what I did was push it hard enough to exit the coil completely from the gap by a large amount -- the 12" frame supports 50mm of one-way travel not counting frame thickness... 59mm with frame thickness... and 71mm with vent spacer thickness added -- minus 8mm for triple joint ring so we can go 63mm one-way before bottoming the ring... and we have 62.5mm in the motor... so I had it up around 60mm one-way (which is actually 5mm PAST surround linearity)... which makes the coil about 1/2" past the gap *laughs*

So when it came back down it knicked the top plate and knocked loose 1/2 of one voice coil (the coil is an 8-layer bifilar which is wound as a quad; so you can knock out 1/2 of a coil by breaking one wire) and this wire is rubbing on the top plate now making that metallic sound (I can see the loose wire through the vent spacer -- WOOPS!!!).

Either way I have some ideas to minimize that possibility; although, I must admit, I was being totally careless with it to do that!

Needless to say it was pretty crazy and just me being too happy with my new toy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Dam bro...not bad!
Who makes your surrounds and can they make just about any custom surround?
Any surround you like can be custom tooled at a soft parts manufacturing company (there are quite a few out there) -- it's just not cheap so it's not practical for one-off applications or for drivers that don't really need the additional throw.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

sundownz

Pro Seller
Supporting Vendor
sundownz
North Carolina
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date