2010 Toyota Corolla S (JL Audio build)

ryntaylor24
10+ year member

Hello fellow car audio enthusiasts. I am starting a new build in my 2010 Corolla S. Fortunately I have been extremely lucky and got spoiled for my 25th birthday //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Currently in my possession...

-JL Audio C5-650 components

-JL Audio C2-690tx 6x9s

-Pioneer avh-p4400bh head unit

Near future pieces to this puzzle-

-Sound dampening (still doing research/need help/PLEASE HELP!!!) lol

-JL Audio xd 400/4 amplifier

-JL Audio 12w3v3-4 (only one)

-JL Audio 500/1v2 amplifier

So far I have installed the head unit, I am still learning more and more about this deck every day. I would have to give the Pioneer avh-p4400bh a 4 out of 5 stars. Although it is an excellent head unit I still have minor concerns. If any of you guys are interested let me know and I will give a more descriptive review on the avh-p4400bh.

I have some research to do on sound dampening material. I know Dynamat xtreme is probably one of the more reputable brands but it is also one of the most expensive brands. Due to the lack of funds I can only afford to Dynamat all four doors and the rear deck where the 6x9s will sit. If any of you guys have any suggestions or questions feel free to let me know.

Sorry about the lack of pictures but I am still waiting on my Scosche trim kit to arrive in the mail. I ordered a 1-3 day shipping and three days later it has still not been shipped out. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif

For the deadening, there's a lot of good info on Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information. For good porduct at low prices, I would likely stick with those guys or look into Audio Technix Car Audio Wiring and Sound Deadening - #1 Dynamat Sound Deadener Alternative
Are you set on having an all JL system? If not, members here can likely help you get a lot more for your budget on the products you still need for your build.
Hey man, thanks for the info on sound deadening material. I appreciate it a lot! As for your concerns. Yes, I am set on all JL Audio products. I understand that the price of JL Audio products is rather expensive but I stand by it. I have always had JL Audio from the time I was 16 years old. I love their products, they are truly excellent. Thanks again dude.

This kid I was speaking with on Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums tells me that I should run my tweeters in the component setup directly to my amp along with the speakers and then run my 6x9s directly to the head unit. I must admit I am a little bit confused but if I'm not mistaken he is getting at the point that it will allow me to more finely tune my tweeters and woofers in the component system. It also seems to me that I could probably blow the speakers like that...?

Hey man, thanks for the info on sound deadening material. I appreciate it a lot! As for your concerns. Yes, I am set on all JL Audio products. I understand that the price of JL Audio products is rather expensive but I stand by it. I have always had JL Audio from the time I was 16 years old. I love their products, they are truly excellent. Thanks again dude. This kid I was speaking with on Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums tells me that I should run my tweeters in the component setup directly to my amp along with the speakers and then run my 6x9s directly to the head unit. I must admit I am a little bit confused but if I'm not mistaken he is getting at the point that it will allow me to more finely tune my tweeters and woofers in the component system. It also seems to me that I could probably blow the speakers like that...?
It's called running "active". You're basically eliminating your passive crossovers and setting crossover points where you want them. That's truly a nutshell answer so look into it. I believe there's a sticky on this forum about it. I'm not sure if your 4 channel is capable of running active and honestly, I'm off to bed soon so I'm not going to look into it, but find out. You will need either an active capable deck (which your Pioneer is not) or active capable 4 channel. It's not for everyone, but nearly any component set can benefit if done right.

It's called running "active". You're basically eliminating your passive crossovers and setting crossover points where you want them. That's truly a nutshell answer so look into it. I believe there's a sticky on this forum about it. I'm not sure if your 4 channel is capable of running active and honestly, I'm off to bed soon so I'm not going to look into it, but find out. You will need either an active capable deck (which your Pioneer is not) or active capable 4 channel. It's not for everyone, but nearly any component set can benefit if done right.
Thanks man and this guy was explaining it a little to me and yes I did know it was called running "active." Thanks though dude, I appreciate the extra help. I believe that I am just going to install them the regular way because my crossovers have both tuning dials for woofer and tweeter.

For the deadening, there's a lot of good info on Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information. For good porduct at low prices, I would likely stick with those guys or look into Audio Technix Car Audio Wiring and Sound Deadening - #1 Dynamat Sound Deadener Alternative
Are you set on having an all JL system? If not, members here can likely help you get a lot more for your budget on the products you still need for your build.
Do we really have to upload pictures to a source like photoucket in order to upload them to the forum?

Do we really have to upload pictures to a source like photoucket in order to upload them to the forum?
I believe you have to be around for a certain length of time or have a certain number of posts before you can add link/pics etc. Once you've reached that number then you can just upload normally. However, I typically prefer to use photobucket anyway on forums as it's usually faster.

My gf's corolla type S feels like it would be a rattle box... I bought some CLD tiles from the SDS, they are AWESOME. You better spend some more money on that sound deadening because those things are made out of sheet metal it feels like...

I love my corolla! every new tear I get in the sheet metal adds a little more character, on the for real these cars don't handle high spl to well! I haven't even built anything overly big and the rear deck and trunk lid are destroyed.

While it's a shame all that money was spent on JL, you might as well make it the best it can be. And I'd agree with the (surprisingly) intelligent guy on your Toyota forums. Running your front components directly to the amplifier and setting the crossovers independently will give you the best potential sound staging and sound quality, and power. And from there, I'd just wire the 6x9 speakers into the head unit, since you won't be able to hear them anyways.

My gf's corolla type S feels like it would be a rattle box... I bought some CLD tiles from the SDS, they are AWESOME. You better spend some more money on that sound deadening because those things are made out of sheet metal it feels like...
Well... they are made out of sheet metal.

And if you're looking for a full deadening treatment, I'd recommend talking to the owner at Sound Deadener Showdown and he'll walk you through everything you need, and get you a good combination price. If you're just looking for CLD tile-like treatment just to deaden doors and trunk and what not, there's nothing I could recommend more than AudioTechnix. And that company is a vendor on here as well. @cthedinger

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.