2010 Subaru STI Special Edition: Audio Upgrade: Need To Know?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Psycareyo
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
NY
My wife and I are planning on installing a full system upgrade in her STi. It's a Special Edition. It has been decontented from the factory to be lighter and less expensive compared to a regular STi. It has suspension that has been tuned a little differently from a regular STi. It has different wheels and a host of "missing" equipment.

We love the car except for the OEM audio system. It *****. I mean, 4 crappy speakers and the most basic head unit you can imagine. I'm actually shocked that it has an 1/8" AUX outlet!

Here is the BIG DEAL:

We have a $750 Best Buy gift card. So everything has to come from Best Buy. I don't care if they install it. In fact, I'd rather have our local aftermarket audio company, Alpha Stereo, do it. However, I need to buy as much stuff there as I can.

My wife wants a really clear front stage. She wants bluetooth for at least her cell phone. Streaming bluetooth audio capability would be nice. She wants an Alpine HU. It's what she has always had and she really likes the brand. I've never had anything but Alpine HU either! We are looking at the IDA-X303. We have chosen not to persue a X305 because of the well documented compatibility issues with the 4.1 iPhone updates. We have also been looking at the CDA103BT. In fact, I love this HU. It already has the BT so I won't have to buy an expansion product like I will with the X303. It's not as cool looking or as easy to use.

I keep hearing about spacers. Why do I need spacers for our Sti? What would be a good Best Buy speaker system?

The Other Issue:

I have the following equipment that I must re-use. This came out of my old 08 Sport Trac Adrenalin.

Frontstage:JBL CS 60.4 Amp

Substage:(2) JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 Slot-Ported, Loaded Low-Profile Enclosures

(1) JL Audio 500/1v2 Amp

So you do not plan to not play CD and will be using your iphone, ipod only correct. The X303 is no CD, the CDA103BT has CD. The 303 will be easier control with iphone and ipod vs. the 103 BT. So you are going to have to decide you want BT, CD and decent ipod/iphone control or you want no CD and improved ipod/iphone control.

You can add BT to the 303 but to go CD would require a CD changer. These are some big things you and the wife are going to have to decide. This is not a apples to apples comparison, these are two totally different marketed HU.

On the speakers at Best Buy I would look to see what they have in Polk Audio 1st, then Pioneer, then Alpine. After that you are on your own.

Spacers-People are saying to get the mounting depth in the door you may need a spacer.

***** you are stuck with having to go to Best Buy but yeah at least you have a gift card for it.

I hit up nasioc first.

I thought about selling the card but I would have to take less than the card value. I just don't see the prices being that much better unless I buy online.

And yes, the STI is my wifes ride. It replaced her 06 WRX. We love the car except for the audio system.

She could live without a CD player. We want Bluetooth for the hands free calling. The iPhone will be her primary music device also. However, she does have a new iPod nano she could use.

Looks like they have these at best buy: Model: DXi6500 Polk audio.

Are these decent?

They have a 125w rms rating and I only have a JBL CS60.4 amp. I could bridge it and not do anything with the rear fill but she will probably not like the way it sounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.