2008 Honda Civic sub location

Participant count
  • Participants list

Warpshift
10+ year member

I have a 2008 Honda Civic EX 4D and am wondering on the sub ideal location. I know I want to run an 8in sub, but I am unsure if I should stick with my wanted sealed 8in box OR if I should potentially use the factory location in the rear deck. Could the rear deck even support an actually 8in sub (DC Audio, Sundown, etc)? Let alone actual sound decent and not like ish?      

Last edited by a moderator:
all your ideas will sound weak. an IB 8 or sealed 8 wont give you anything worthwhile especially with the brands you are looking at which are purely engineered for ported performance with their subs.  

You would have to deaden the rear deck substanially plus decouple the plastic cover. Those cars rattle lile crazy back there. A single 8 in a sealed box will barely be noticeable. 
So I should point out that I'm not going for bone-shattering bass. I want the sub to be loud when I need it to be (depending on what I'm listening to), but mainly for tight accurate bass.

So I should point out that I'm not going for bone-shattering bass. I want the sub to be loud when I need it to be (depending on what I'm listening to), but mainly for tight accurate bass.
You should go with a ported 10 instead of an 8. Sealed 8s are barely noticeable. You are better off having more spl than you need, that way you have the luxury of turning it down if it's too much. 

you wont even get to 1/10000000 of the bone shattering bass you are thinking of... you'll be lucky to even be a bit louder than your door speakers.  You need to look at subs that work well in IB, sundown dc etc... are not performers in sound quality, sealed boxes or IB.   It wont be loud when you need it to be and you'll at best get slight fill  while clipping the fk out of the sub and eventually burn it forcing it to go over its capacity while you expect way more out of it.

The box is more important than whatever sub you use. The right (or wrong) box will make (or break) how a sub sounds. 

What kind of music do you listen to? What is your budget for sub, amp and box? What kind of headunit do you have?
Headunit  Alpine ILX-W650 (comes in today)

sub budget plus box would be about $650 max

Music: Retrowave, Progressive Psy, Chillout, Downtempo Lounge, LoFi, Synthwave, Chiptunes (those are my mains lately)

The box is more important than whatever sub you use. The right (or wrong) box will make (or break) how a sub sounds. 

What kind of music do you listen to? What is your budget for sub, amp and box? What kind of headunit do you have?
I am also going to be replacing the speakers as well. So far I have those narrowed down to 4-5 different brands. Definitely components up front and 6.5 coax in the back. 

Will also be installing deadener in the trunk, doors, floor, and rear deck as well 

Amp budget, honestly no more than $500 

Last edited by a moderator:
Headunit  Alpine ILX-W650 (comes in today)

sub budget plus box would be about $650 max

Music: Retrowave, Progressive Psy, Chillout, Downtempo Lounge, LoFi, Synthwave, Chiptunes (those are my mains lately)
Based on that you want something with accurate transient response. Something well designed not an off the shelf rebadge. You don't need anything higher than 500w rms but the amp should be at least double the power handling of the sub to ensure the sub receives a clean signal and its actual rated power. 

This sub has pretty much what you are looking for:

http://ddaudio.com/products/subwoofers/hidef-tuned/1000-series-2/

There is a DD dealer in Tuscon named Audio 2000 according to the dealer locator. DD equipment is only sold in brick and mortar stores so you won't find pricing online but that sub along with a custom box should come in under $400. 

Based on that you want something with accurate transient response. Something well designed not an off the shelf rebadge. You don't need anything higher than 500w rms but the amp should be at least double the power handling of the sub to ensure the sub receives a clean signal and its actual rated power. 

This sub has pretty much what you are looking for:

http://ddaudio.com/products/subwoofers/hidef-tuned/1000-series-2/

There is a DD dealer in Tuscon named Audio 2000 according to the dealer locator. DD equipment is only sold in brick and mortar stores so you won't find pricing online but that sub along with a custom box should come in under $400. 
Would you recommend the 10in or 12in? 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.